Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise :)

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise :)

Many new Merc motors are coming with a fitting installed on the oil pan drain. This fitting is connected to a hose, which has another threaded fiting on the other end. The intention is (when the boat is out of the water) you can remove the garboard plug, and pull the hose thorugh the garboard drain hole. With the drain hose pulled thorugh the garboard drain hole, you can remove the fitting on the end of the hose to drain the oil from the oil pan rather than sucking through the dipstick. So, if there is a remote drain hose on the oil pan, and if this garboard installation is intended for that remote drain hose, then unscrewing it would do nothing but open the hole which the drain hose would need to be stuck through. It WOULD NOT drain oil immediately by opening the garboard plug. It would be silly that you would connect to oil to an underwater inlet. In the event of failure, you're introducing water directly to the oil.

This is how it is on my Merc 496.

Rentaltux

Seaman

I have an 06 Q6 with the exact same plug. It is to drain your oil. If you remove that plug there will be a tether as mentioned earlier. Pull the tether which will pull out the drain hose which will have a treaded plug on the end. Remove that plug and that will drain your oil. Personally I cannot imagine changing the oil without this...

R

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an 06 Q6 with the exact same plug. It is to drain your oil. If you remove that plug there will be a tether as mentioned earlier. Pull the tether which will pull out the drain hose which will have a treaded plug on the end. Remove that plug and that will drain your oil. Personally I cannot imagine changing the oil without this...

R

Awesome thanks for all the help guys!!!