• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise :)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise :)

Hey guys,

I got a quick question I just bought a 08 Q4 last weekend and I noticed to while I was cleaing there is a brass plug right beside the regular drain plug. Its on there extremly tight so I didn't force it off. Can anyone tell me whats it for and if i need to keep it off while I store the boat?

Thanks for the help....

I post on the tahoe forum and no one repled

Re: Brass Drain Plug... Please Advise

got any pics ??
    ~~ This boat runs on gas, NOT thanks ~~

Comment

Here is a couple of pics... thanks for the help

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac6893cb9ea9e3fc1fcd8496fe2a2866.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	116472

Click image for larger version

Name:	29ff4b7e40c21289d474619f7a995738.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	116473

Comment

From the Pix it could be anything.
        The obvious question is, What is on the inside of the plug?
        Is it just a hole in the transom, or is there a hose connected to it going to somewhere?
        If you have not already done so....
        To help you get better answers, Specific to your Location.
        At the Top Right of this page, Click on 'Your Name'.
        Then Click "User Settings".
        In the "Location" Box, Enter your General Location. City, State.

Comment

^+1
          ~~ This boat runs on gas, NOT thanks ~~

Comment

looks like a garboard drain to me...
            Zak

Boat
            Manatee Mystery boat Paint job soon to be in progress
            Engine
            '71 Chrysler 70 HP Repower coming soon
            Tow Truck
            '03 4Runner limited V8

Over-engineering only means that there may be a simplier way to do it. Not that the outome has fallen short of the objective!

Comment

Yep, that's a standard garboard plug and fitting. The question remains as to just what it drains. It's too high to be for the bilge (which uses the other drain in the one picture).
              Bob, Orange County NY
              '88 Bayliner 1700 Capri Bowrider, 85 HP Force O/B, "Sea Weasel"
              Want a vessel safety check? Click here. Want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary? Click here.
              Disclaimer: Although I am a member of the USCG Auxiliary, the opinions and advice in my replies are my own and do not necessarily reflect CG or CG Auxiliary policy or regulations unless so specified.

Comment

Im not to sure if I even know what a Garboard Drian is for? very new to boating haha

Comment

Technically, a "Garboard Drain" would be the drain next to the Garboard.
                  The Garboard (Old Dutch word) is the first hull plank next to the keel on a wooden ship.
                  Today, the Garboard drain refers to the bilge drain at the bottom center of the transom.

Technically, your Garboard Drain is the Black Plastic drain to the lower right of the brass fitting in the photo.
                  The Brass fitting that you have is normally sold for use as a Garboard Drain .... But not in this case.
                  In this case it is just a plugged, fancy Thru Hull Fitting.

All of this is interesting but does not answer the original question, "What is the Brass Fitting for? "

That takes us back to the other un-answered question posed to you ...
                  "What is on the inside of the Brass Fitting, A hole? A hose to somewhere? WHAT???"

Answer that question and you will answer the first question.
                  If you have not already done so....
                  To help you get better answers, Specific to your Location.
                  At the Top Right of this page, Click on 'Your Name'.
                  Then Click "User Settings".
                  In the "Location" Box, Enter your General Location. City, State.

Comment

I have tried to see if there is a hose or anything attached to it, and I am not able to fully get back there. So i'm just not going to worry about haha...

Comment

take the plug out.... pour water into any compartment you think might drain through it.... when you see water you have found it.... My bet is you have a compartment that doubles as a built in cooler
                      Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
                      1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                      1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                      1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                      90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                      Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                      sigpic

Comment

I would but someone said it was a drain for my motor oil, so I don't want oil pouring out. I thought about trying that tho....

Comment

well if it IS for draining oil there will be a hose from it to the oil pan and there BETTER be a valve at the pan AND finally, if it were my boat and it WAS for oil, I'd be getting rid of it.

either way, loosen it up and see if oil starts to seep out (I doubt it) or if you find water or air behind it
                          Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
                          1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                          1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                          1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                          90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                          Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                          sigpic

Comment

It is a drain for the engine oil. Loosen the plug, it's attatched to a tether that's attatced to a drain line. Take the cap off the end of the drain line and the engine oil comes out. (Done outside of the boat of course)
                            2008 Regal 2000
                            Volvo 5.0 GXi

Comment

smokeonthewater... Why would you get rid of it if its for oil?

bellhop... how sure or you its for oil? and is there any reason why I would need to take the plug out?

Comment

Working...
                              X