Key West 1520 - might make offer

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for a boat that will weigh in at or below 2000lbs launch ready. I am limited to that for safe towing. This will be my first boat and Im planning to have it for 3 or 4 years, then upgrade. That said, I found a KW 1520 locally. It is advertised as a 1993, but I cannot find that year on the NADA site. Has a 2003 40hp Yamaha motor. Seems most have at least 50hp.

They are asking 5,900, but I can probably get them down a bit. But, I would like to know what this boat would be worth. No bottom paint, galvanized trailer, etc. Where should I walk away from it at?

Is it reasonable to assume this entire rig will be less than 2,000lbs launch ready?

Would really like a KW 1720, but I think that will exceed by tow rating and Im not ready to get a new vehicle yet.

I am looking for any and all opinions about this boat, weight of it, value, comparison with 1720, etc. Will just be me and wife and dog.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Key West 1520 - might make offer

I have a 1988 17' Key West w/ a 70 and have towed it behind lots of vehicles no problem. Don't know the weight.

A 40 may be a little small but if it;s the flat bottom model like mine (bay boat hull) it may be OK.

NADA is worthless for boats more than 4 years old. Shop for condition and maintenance. But a KW holds up well, and 2003 Yamaha I'd buy sight unseen.

As for size, just depends on what you are doing, and where. I found mine to be right wet for open water but great in the creeks.. 15 is a good size for two to mess around in.

I can't speak to price or weight but could be a right good starter boat.

BryanR

Seaman Apprentice

What does wet mean? Heard folks say a boat is wet. Does that mean water spills over or something?

redspot321

Recruit

What does wet mean? Heard folks say a boat is wet. Does that mean water spills over or something?

Wet just means you may get wet in rough conditions (Spray from the boat sides)

Just FYI I have towed my 2004 1720 with a Hyundai Sante Fe (local travel) Not comfortably:facepalm:
And recently my new honda odessey which is a nice ride.