frozen steering cable in my tilt tube

chewyj

Cadet
Well, my steering cable was completely frozen, so I started to take the cable end out to lubricate, but now I've gotten myself into a mess...<br /><br />I had to use a hammer to tap the exposed portion of the steering wheel towards the tilt tube. Now it still has not come free, and I have not more room to hammer. Likewise, I can attempt to free it by pulling back away from the tilt tube, because I left nothing to grab onto.<br /><br />I've sprayed wd40 into the tube as best I can, but it doesn't seem to be working. If I attempt to use heat, which part of the tube should I heat???<br /><br />Thanks for any suggestions.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: frozen steering cable in my tilt tube

I would run the heat up and down the length of it .Put a locking pliers on the flat end and try to twist it side to side as you apply heat.PB blaster will work much better than wd40.Try greasing the zerk if there is one.Charlie

chewyj

Cadet

Well, life just went from bad to worse. I simply cannot get that thing unstuck. I removed the entire inne tilt tube, along with the cable, and it is not coming out, even with heat.<br /><br />Any other suggestions??? It would appear that I may have to cut the cable, and then just hammer the end out of the tube.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

How much heat did you use and are there grease fittings on it that you can remove????Charlie

chewyj

Cadet

I would say that I used enough heat and there are no fittings.<br /><br />Tonight I cut the cable and now am still unable to get it out of the tube. I'm just going to bite the bullet and by a new cable and tube and be done with it.<br /><br />Thank you for your help. I guess you can't beat new parts...

mabbott

Seaman Apprentice

Did you use a torch for heat? If not, probably not enough heat.