Bowrider, lots of water in Ski locker, normal?

freebo27

Cadet
Hi & G'day from Australia,
We looked at a 5 year old bowrider today, its antifoulded and been sitting in the water, seemed a great boat apart from the fact the ski locker was maybe 3/4 full of water. Before we even pay for a marine inspection I wondered if anyone can tell me if that's normal or something to worry about. Owner said the bilge would clear it.

Sorry if its a dumb question but we're new to boating.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bowrider, lots of water in Ski locker, normal?

Hi & G'day from Australia,
We looked at a 5 year old bowrider today, its antifoulded and been sitting in the water, seemed a great boat apart from the fact the ski locker was maybe 3/4 full of water. Before we even pay for a marine inspection I wondered if anyone can tell me if that's normal or something to worry about. Owner said the bilge would clear it.

Sorry if its a dumb question but we're new to boating.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,....

Has it been rainin',..??

Does the bilge pump work,..??
Is the ski locker able to drain itself to the bilge,..??

superbenk

Commander

Doesn't sound like a good buy to me. I'd look VERY closely at stringer & transom for rot & be concerned about floatation foam saturation too.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It seems like a bad sign. Water should stay on the outside of the boat. Unless it just rained or there have been a bunch of people climbing in and out of the water it shouldn't be that wet.

salty87

Commander

a 5 year old boat should be wood free, should be...no gaurantee. seat bases could be plywood.

standing water isn't a good sign. if the bilge would clear it, why hasn't it? is the boat moored in the water w/o an auto bilge pump? yikes

a few inches of water isn't the end of the world but it's a sign that there could be issues. how is the water getting in? why is there no auto-bilge? how does the engine area look?...if someone can't take care of the little things they generally won't take care of the big things.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In 1996, I bought a new Wellcraft 23 Walkaround. The deck had 2 compRtments moulded into the deck with drains. I used them to store fenders.

However, the always had some water despite the drains, and the fenders we ways moldy/mossy. Point being that the ski locker hatch may not have a good seal. So in addition to checking the drain, as advised in previous posts, check how the water is getting in.

freebo27

Cadet

Thanks for the replies guys!

A bit of extra info

- The boat has been sitting in the water in a marina (its antifouled)

- It has been raining a little the last few weeks, bit the boat has had full covers on, which I would have thought would stop rain getting in, seats & carpet etc where dry

- I'd estimate the water depth to have been about 4-6 inches, the owner said the bilge would kick in once the level got higher, but turned on the bilge and pumped some of it out

Bottom line is I wanted to look at this boat because of its antufoul, which is unusual in a bowrider, we live on a saltwater creek and I'd like to moor on our jetty, the other option is a pen or lift but this seemed a good solution.

Guess I'll need look at some other non-antifouled boats, plenty of those around.

Bondo

Staff member

Guess I'll need look at some other non-antifouled boats, plenty of those around.

Ayuh,... Antifouling is Paint,...

It can be slapped onto ANY hull...

Don't buy a boat, Just because somebody Painted it.....

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

My bowrider`s ski locker has a drain hole in the rear that passes water back to the engine bilge area where it can be drained or pumped out. If your boat is similar, the hole may be plugged and not draining.

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My personal opinion, is that if the owner of the boat leaves 6 inches of water in the bottom and is not concerned about it, then I would be concerned. If he doesn't take care of draining water out of the boat, it makes you wonder what other neglect has occured to this boat.

Philster

Captain

In 1996, I bought a new Wellcraft 23 Walkaround. The deck had 2 compRtments moulded into the deck with drains. I used them to store fenders.

However, the always had some water despite the drains, and the fenders we ways moldy/mossy. Point being that the ski locker hatch may not have a good seal. So in addition to checking the drain, as advised in previous posts, check how the water is getting in.

Let me solve the mystery for you: It was water that entered via the deck joint (where the rub rail is at). I know, I know.... you don't believe it, but a book could be written on the subject and some people still won't believe it.

That is a Wellcraft phenomena if there ever was one.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

My bowrider`s ski locker has a drain hole in the rear that passes water back to the engine bilge area where it can be drained or pumped out. If your boat is similar, the hole may be plugged and not draining.

This is a possibility...

However 6 inches of water is a locker in a covered boat is a real cause for concern.

Any boat that sits in the water for long periods of time should have anti-fouling paint on it...it keeps the growth of living stuff off the hull

cyclops2

Banned

Logic says the water SHOULD drain into a lower level & cause the pump to pump it out. Is there water in any other compartments ? Like under all the bow seat cushions or anchor locker ?
Rear bench lockers ?

I would get a survayor.........NOT one who is local & a friend of the marina !!

cribber

Lieutenant

If he hit the bilge switch and pumped some of the water out and water actually came out then the float switch is shot or non-existent. I'd say keep looking since this is the peak of your boating season!!

freebo27

Cadet

Thanks guys, I'll move onto another boat, plenty available.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know you're moving on to another boat, but I'm confused and I don't like to be that way lol.

You originally posted the water was in the ski locker. Then you said the water was in a compartment with a bilge pump. So, I'm confused.

Water left standing in bilge - most of the boats I am familiar with here in South Florida that are kept on the water always have several inches of water in the bilge. The bilge pumps are not made to get it all out. Its not necessarily a sign of a bad owner. Trailer boaters can pull the plug and drain the bilge. In 9 years of owning my last boat, I didn't pull the plug once. No problem in the bilge. It was made for it.

Wellcraft - may be a common wellcraft issue, but the compartments in my boat were molded into the deck. There was no seam between the deck and the compartment. My water issue was around the hatch.

Merry Christmas all...

freebo27

Cadet

Just to clarify.

The water was in the locker, when the bilge was turned on some water was pumped out, but I don't know if that was the water in the locker, after running the bilge there was still water in the locker, not sure if there was as much water but I had already thought

"the only way I'll consider buying this boat is after a full inspection"

I then thought

"before even paying for an inspection I'll ask a friendly boating forum if this is cause for concern"

So I did, it seems it was, so I'll move on.

After reading above I guess the water should drain into the bilge but didn't, maybe due to a blockage or maybe due to the float switch being inoperative.

But I'm really brand new to boating, so appreciate your guys help.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nothing wrong with passing on a boat. Lots of them out there. Better to be sure.

Good luck in your search.