single or twin engine.

jbrphil

Seaman Apprentice
Should I buy boat with twin or single engine? Some people said that single engine can do the job as twin engine. Cheaper in fuel, repairs, etc. Any opinions?

I found two boats that are same company and same size but one twin and other single. So which one should I choose. Both has same yamaha but single 250, other 200 twin.

John

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: single or twin engine.

what are your goals? Twins are generally going to use more fuel, and twice the maintenance costs, and more weight. The advantage is that you have a built in backup. Depending on where your boating takes place, the increased cost is well worth the cost.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A lot depends on your planned use and location, jbrphil.

If you plan on going places that would be bad places to lose an engine the security of a second engine might be worth the added expense and cost of operation of the twins. Like offshore, for example, or on a fast moving current or river.

If engine trouble would only be a temporary inconvenience I would prefer a single.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A single 250HP doesn't equal twin 200HP in anyone's book. What HP are the boats rated for? A 60% reduction in HP is a substanual loss of power. The last thing you want is an underpowered boat in tidal water. Now if it was a 350HP, that would be a different story

As far as twins or duals, depends on where you boat and your expectations. Fuel contamination is the number cause of failure. Unless you have separate fuel tanks for each motor you’re just a vulnerable with two motors as you are with one.

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also keep in mind the maneuverability while docking, twins will give you sharper turning, while a single is more straight forward... depending on how you look at it. Docking with twins is better only when practiced to use both engines at once to steer, with no hands on the wheel.

The twins give you more power obviously, and redundancy. But costs more in gas and repair expenses. If its a twin I/O (not in your case i guess) it also means twin drives, which is more to deal with again...

Take the good and the bad and see which fits you better

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

If its a twin I/O (not in your case i guess) it also means twin drives, which is more to deal with again...

Exact same applies to twin outboards... Two props to replace if you run aground, two lower units to service, etc...

alexr254

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just want to add, since alot of it sounds like bashing twins... its not bashing its just telling it like it is...

That said, I have twin I/O and would not dream of going single for my 26' cruiser due to the redundancy factor.
When i go out with my family i need ease of mind knowing we will all be safe. Nothing can be too pricey for that.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Exact same applies to twin outboards... Two props to replace if you run aground, two lower units to service, etc...
Not exactly. I've never had to replace Gimbal Bearing, exhaust bellows, universal joint, universal joint bellows, shift cable bellow or a transom seal on my outboard. Sounds expensive though :D:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Should I buy boat with twin or single engine? Some people said that single engine can do the job as twin engine. Cheaper in fuel, repairs, etc. Any opinions?

I found two boats that are same company and same size but one twin and other single. So which one should I choose. Both has same yamaha but single 250, other 200 twin.

John

legnth of the boat is also a major factor in the single twin equation as well

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

legnth of the boat is also a major factor in the single twin equation as well
At what point does length come into play? I know of at least 10 boats in excess of 50' with single power.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

At what point does length come into play? I know of at least 10 boats in excess of 50' with single power.

those will mostly be displacement hulls.....not plaining......they will also be mostly inboard rudder, some with bow thrusters.
unless its a ciggarette with a big honkin single......

in the cruiser series of boats.....anything over 27 should be twins.... you need the ponies to move the weight as over 27 and you are looking at 8000 lbs (very generaly speaking). parking them is a real pain in high wind with a single screw.

Thalasso

Commander

those will mostly be displacement hulls.....not plaining......they will also be mostly inboard rudder, some with bow thrusters.

in the cruiser series of boats.....anything over 27 should be twins.... you need the ponies to move the weight as over 27 and you are looking at 8000 lbs (very generaly speaking). parking them is a real pain in high wind with a single screw.

You are correct. Mine is twin 5.0's pushing 30ft 10200 lbs

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I own a 26.5 ft with a single Merc 260. It is just enough power under most conditions, however if we load it up with 5 or more people, or lots of junk, it can struggle to get up on plane. Also; Oops is correct, docking it in a wind can be quite challenging. In spite of the extra expense, I would like to have twins.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jbrphil

A lot of good info so far. But as many have said, it depends upon how you boat and the conditions where you boat. If any of these (offshore, currents, or close quarter docking) then I'd go with twins.

However, so far you haven't replied to tell us how/where you will boat. Let us know so we can be specific.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I prefer twins, even with the added maintenance.

cyclops2

Banned

Twins are ALWAYS far better in ALL bad, wind, currents, docking to either side of the boat, 1 stops, towing larger boats in crummy wind & water currents-tides, cook veggies on the idleing one & meat on the 1200 rpm engine...ALWAYS use heavy duty Renoylds Aluminum Foil. The list is everything good. EXCEPT.

Amount of money new & winterizing in cold places.

Oh yes. They DOO sound cool!!

If you can afford them. Do it. I/O or OB or inboard. :)

ALWAYS have enough power on either of the twins to make it back to the dock. Othewise you are only a large barge 2 to 3 hours from home.

Partying ? Run 1 engine for meal time.

chriscraft254

Commander

John

What kind of boat and where do you plan to run the boat? What is your main use of the boat and how many hours a year do you boat?Non of these answers are good until we have more information. Also, what brand are the motors and how many hours are on them? Are they inboard,outboard or I/Os?

jbrphil

Seaman Apprentice

Great information! There are two Trinton - one 2001 26 ft with twin 225hp Merc and other one is 2003 24 ft with single Yamaha 225HP.

Plan to use it for deep sea fishing and stay at ocean all day to get lot of fishes.

John

cyclops2

Banned

For storm & squall survival. Get the boat equipped with 2 engines that equal close to the maximum HP.

Caution........The weight of 2 ...150 HP engines is more than 1.....300 Hp. So you really need to be EXTREMELY CAREFULL about dual engines combined weight hanging on the extended transoms of offshore boats. They can cause the stern to take on constant water & risk flooding the OB engines with water.

Offshore or in the Great Lakes, in my opinion, is a place for dry inboard engines only. No one can do anything to BIG OBs at sea. To dangerous to climb out there. Even a simple fix can not be done in heaving waves.

Inboard engine? Take your dry, safe, time.

Hope this give another view of offshore requirements.

Rich

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What does it matter if it's a planing or a semi-displacement hull if the speeds are the same and the fuel efficiency is the same or better? The semi-displacement hull is going to give you the better overall ride.

Locally we?re famous for the Chesapeake deadrise. The deadrise is a semi-displacement hull famous for its rough water handling and its minimal HP requirements. This heritage manifests itself in a new breed of boats being built locally. The Judge 27' Chesapeake will run 35 mph with a single 225 HP outboard on the back. The Judge 36' Chesapeake which weighs #12,500 will run 32 mph with a single 428 HP Cummins diesel. How many #12,500 cruisers will run 32 mph while burning just 17 GPH?

If you?re skilled there is no problem parking a single screw.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdI3-LHiCng&feature=related :D:D