Best Motor for a Grumman Canoe

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to inherit a Grumman 17.5 foot canoe with a square back. I am guessing that it dates to 1975 or so. Does anyone here have any experience putting a small motor on one of these things? Would a 3.5-5.5 HP motor push it along OK? I think it would be a nice "launch" to use to get back and forth to our little island. Our primary boat will be a 16' pontoon.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best Motor for a Grumman Canoe

A VERY long time ago I had a square stern Grumman with a 6hp Johnson on it (my first boat). It moved along pretty well.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Even the 3-4.5HP JohnnyRudes will move your canoe smartly.

robert graham

Admiral

I bought my 17' aluminum square back canoe in 1983 with a 3HP air cooled Tanaka motor and it's a great rig. Later I thought I wanted more power and bought a 4HP Yamaha and it was a bit stronger but weighed about twice as much as my 24 lb. Tanaka), so I sold the Yamaha and went back with the Tanaka since then. Trouble is, you can't buy a new Tanaka since they quit selling them in the USA over a decade ago, but if I needed a new motor, I'd take a close look at that Honda 2HP, 4 stroke, air cooled, centrifugal clutch, 25lbs.(mostly the same features and specs as the Tanaka. Lighter is definitely better and air cooled is great(no water pump), Centrifugal clutch(no gears), costs about $1000, brand new!...Check it out, and good luck!:)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I have a seventeen foot Ouachita aluminum flatback and a 2.5 Merc. It's a perfect match. She's rated up to 4 horses, but the 2.5 is plenty. Welcome aboard.:cool:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have a cruise'n'carry 1.5 horse motor... weighs 12 lbs... I'd say that even it would move that canoe really well.

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice

By way of follow up, I managed to find a 1965 Evinrude Lightwin (3HP). It came off an Alumacraft and I think it will propel the canoe along nicely. Thanks all for the tips. I'll report back in late May to let you know how the rig worked!

Underblog

Seaman Apprentice

The Lightwin was just thing. The canoe (in fact a 15.5 foot) has a max HP rating of 3. Works great, looks great.

GrummanMotor.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

I ran an old aluminum flatback canoe with a little 3 hp Gamefisher (a.k.a. Tanaka). Great little motor. A little loud, but sips the gas and still running strong. I now use it as my kicker on my 14' semi-V tinny. I'd recommend a tiller extender to allow you to shift your weight as needed. A piece of PVC with a few slits in one end and a couple pipe clamps work great. If you wanna see some hot rod canoes of a sort check our customegheenoe.com.

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

By way of follow up, I managed to find a 1965 Evinrude Lightwin (3HP). It came off an Alumacraft and I think it will propel the canoe along nicely. Thanks all for the tips. I'll report back in late May to let you know how the rig worked!

That will work fine. I have a 67 Lightwin that I have used on a 15' Coleman canoe and the only issue was the balance with the motor hanging off one side. With a square back that will not be an issue. The Lightwin's are great motors.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

canoe.jpg
Nice! I have about the same set up, a square back old town with a 61' lightwin 3hp. It pushes my wife and I at a whooping 5-7 mph depending on how much beer we have. Works great getting to the fishing hole or to the beach on the lake.

We took it to Masonboro Island near Wilmington NC over memorial day, had about a 3 mile trip with 800 pounds inclunding gear, us, and everything needed for a long weekend! Besides getting rocked by the big sportsfishers it was great. Those old johnnyrudes will never die!