Aquasport 245 Explorer or Wellcraft Excel

wrrogers1

Recruit
I am gettin gready to redeploy from Afghanistan and have been looking to buy a boat to fish in the bay and off shore. I have owned boats before but nothing for this type of fishing, can anyone help with advice on the 2 brands I have found nicer used boats in. One is a 1998 Aquasport 245 Explorer and the other is a 1997 Wellcraft 23 or 25 Excel. Loaded picture of the Aquasport can't add photo of Excel says to big. Thank you for the help.

Attachments

• aquasport.jpg
    aquasport.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0

Philster

Captain
Re: Aquasport 245 Explorer or Wellcraft Excel

I'd not worry about brands if the hulls are all looking about equal at this point in their aged life; I'd be worrying about mechanicals. Which one has the best combo of motor/accessories?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

those are both good solid hulls (originally, I mean) so consider them equal and then look at the condition and mechanics.

Location? looks familiar...

And thanks for serving; get home safe.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Excels were Wellcraft's "value line" of boats I believe. Not bad boats by any stretch but not anything to write home about either. I don't know anything about Aquasport. You'll want to check either VERY carefully for rot. With used boats, brand means little. It's all about condition condition condition.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1988 23' Wellcraft CC Fisherman model. Great boat solidly built and rides well.

wingtime

Cadet

Not sure if you bought a boat yet but Aquasport and Welcraft are owned by (or were) Genmar and they were both built in the same plant in Sarasota FL. The Aquasport should be an all composite hull with no wood in the transom or stringers. The Wellcraft may have wood. Also Genmar sold some of the same boats under both names... another words they used the same molds for some of the Aquasports and the Wellcrafts.... however the Aquas should have had better hardware etc on them and be wood free.