Help removing bottom paint off a jet boat

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am coming close to purchasing a 1997 sea ray 16' jet boat. The boat has bottom paint that is in bad
condition on it. I will be using it in fresh water and therefore will not need any bottom paint. I think the
opinions are either removing the paint completely if it is possible. Or I can re paint the bottom so that it looks
neat and just never paint it again. Which would you guys suggest

Attachments

• vp1804262_3_large.jpg
    vp1804262_3_large.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0
  • vp1804262_6_large.jpg
    vp1804262_6_large.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 0
  • vp1804262_7_large.jpg
    vp1804262_7_large.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 0
  • vp1804262_1_large.jpg
    vp1804262_1_large.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 0
  • vp1804262_2_large.jpg
    vp1804262_2_large.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 0

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Help removing bottom paint off a jet boat

You will only see it when it is on the trailer..... it will eventually wear off...that's what it is made to do. I would probably leave it alone and let time do it's thing. That's just me though.'
I prefer a boat without bottom paint if I trailer the boat.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Basstender 10.6,

I tried to operate in the waters of Lake Erie with a boat that did not have bottom paint and learned that even in fresh water there is buildup of algae and slime that requires bottom paint. No bottom paint is nice if you trailer boat and pull it out every couple of days. But if you want to leave it in the water for a couple of months - you will be very unhappy you did not put at least a layer of antifouling paint on the bottom. If this is the case, an additional layer of a barrier coat of paint would also be helpful to minimize and bubbles that can appear in the gellcoat from water intrusion.

I suggest you at a minimum lightly sand the current paint and apply a coat of "hard" blue antifouling paint. (i.e. Do not use the ablative paints)

Nice looking boat !!

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Basstender 10.6,

I tried to operate in the waters of Lake Erie with a boat that did not have bottom paint and learned that even in fresh water there is buildup of algae and slime that requires bottom paint. No bottom paint is nice if you trailer boat and pull it out every couple of days. But if you want to leave it in the water for a couple of months - you will be very unhappy you did not put at least a layer of antifouling paint on the bottom. If this is the case, an additional layer of a barrier coat of paint would also be helpful to minimize and bubbles that can appear in the gellcoat from water intrusion.

I suggest you at a minimum lightly sand the current paint and apply a coat of "hard" blue antifouling paint. (i.e. Do not use the ablative paints)

Nice looking boat !!

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH
Thanks! Yeah the boat could use some cosmetic work. I understand that there will be slime build up on the bottom of the hull if left in the water. That is one reason I am considering re painting the bottom (or leaving it). The painted bottom will look better than the slime. I had a 23' searay that I left in the water every year for 15 years and never had a problem a the end of the season after I power washed off the slime. I think I will be better off leaving the paint and maybe applying a new layer.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if you plan on leaving the boat in the water........then bottom paint it.

if you plan on trailering the boat.......sand the stuff off and re polish the bottom.......then when you want to get rid of the scum line.....just acid wash it.

100 grit paper on an orbital sander will chew that carp off like butter.......but it is really nasty nasty stuff.....use total respirator and a body suit.

derss like you were grinding fibre glass

basstender10.6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I think that if I buy the boat I will just re paint the bottom. It will look fine while its in the water.