Steering Cable Question (Morse to Teleflex?)

WillyDub

Cadet
Im replacing the steering on my 94 Stratos Bass boat with a 150 Johnson. It's new to me this year and i drove it all season on some seriously stiff cables. This is the first bass boat i have ever owned and as such my first Cable job as well.

I pulled the old cables out and they are the old Morse style cables, doing some research it seems that morse is a goner and is now Teleflex. I see that Teleflex makes a replacement cable that i can find right here http://www.iboats.com/Steering-Cabl...5003132--**********.156017477--view_id.169547.

My question is this. Do i keep the old housing for the Morse cables and simply replace the the cables by using the ones found in the link above, or do i replace everything with one of those Teleflex No Force Feedback kits.

Price isn't as big an issue as doing this right in order avoid future issues.

Appreciate the input guys, i want to get this right, but also don't want to spend $200.00 more for parts i don't need.

Dub

ps. I posted this on the engine forums as well, wasn't sure exactly where to post.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Steering Cable Question (Morse to Teleflex?)

Ayuh,.... I generally replace the helm, with the cables, as the helm is usually pretty worn by the time the cables give up the ghost...