Lose a anchor? OK Save all that line. Better yet.

cyclops2

Banned
Next summer I am buying a 250' to 350' length or Nylon braided 1/4" line for the anchor.

I anchor in rocks. So I will dead end 1 end in the locker. Slide on a SS ring to the line. Then use a Cabanara ?? threaded link to connect the anchor to the SS ring. Scope out the line & tie off. Snagged, undo the cleated end & pull up on the rope locker end. Should get all the line back each time.
1 year was 3 anchors.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lose a anchor? OK Save all that line. Better yet.

why not buy half as much 3/8" line and use a 2' 1/4" "fuse" at the anchor.... ... if it snags tie it off and give it a good pull.... if it doesn't come loose, the 1/4" should break first

bekosh

Lieutenant

There is a way to rig your anchor so that you can pull it from the opposite end. Attach the rode/chain to the fluke end and use a plastic zip tie to attach it at the shaft end. If it becomes stuck, just drive up over the top of the anchor, reeling in the line, then cleat it off and drive forward. The zip tie will break and you will pull the anchor away from what ever it is hooked on.

You can see how to rig the anchor in this photo.
Rocker_anchor_float_retreiving_system.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

that's how I'm gonna do mine when I get some chain for it.... then again my anchor and chain will be worth far more than the rope so I don't plan on giving up on em easily.

cyclops2

Banned

You guys have never anchored into layers of fractured rock or a wreck.

You will chafe the line off of the anchor ring before you come free. I have circled 50 to 100 times in mild currents. Gone foward & reverse dozens of times.

They do not pull free. The cheap steel flukes simply bend in the crevice & lock permanantly. A cast navy anchor usually just bounces along.
Same for DIY stuff.

I just realized. I should make up a DIY SS grapling hook anchor. Hooks soft enough to bend completely backwards for a straight pull in the opposite direction. Saw that description on another posting somewhere.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

They have those fluke anchors with the "U" shaped shanks. A ring (connect to chain if you like) can be pulled to the base of the anchor and the anchor pulled out backwards, if it gets stuck. Would that work for you?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Soft Iron Grappling anchors are also widely available and pretty cheep.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chene anchor is what you are referring to correct? That is what I use and have never had a problem.

They have those fluke anchors with the "U" shaped shanks. A ring (connect to chain if you like) can be pulled to the base of the anchor and the anchor pulled out backwards, if it gets stuck. Would that work for you?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Stop using dock line for an anchor line would be your first best bet..

Rode is 3 strand .. Yacht braid is for above water ..

Apples and oranges m8..

YD.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had a fluke style anchor that had three sections. The two flukes and a main bar. A spring loaded bolt ran through all three pieces and allowed the flukes to "flip" if they got stuck. You could increase or decrease the breakaway effort by tightening or loosening the bolt. Made by The American Anchor Company. Out of business now but a guy in Michigan still has a few. I had a 22 lber that would hold in ANYTHING. It made it through 4 years of anchoring in the Ohio River around rocks, steel, trees and anything else you can imagine. I finally lost it when the anchor rode was cut by an underwater steel piling. Hated to lose that anchor. Think Richter anchor but all cast iron and very durable. Best idea I've seen for an anchor but alas, they are no longer.

jacoboregon

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a way to rig your anchor so that you can pull it from the opposite end. Attach the rode/chain to the fluke end and use a plastic zip tie to attach it at the shaft end. If it becomes stuck, just drive up over the top of the anchor, reeling in the line, then cleat it off and drive forward. The zip tie will break and you will pull the anchor away from what ever it is hooked on.

View attachment 119821

I see this type of set-up used a lot in the north umpqua river (VERY rocky) and it has saved many lost anchors. I believe it is the best set-up to retrieve a stuck anchor. I've never seen or heard of it failing.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got a much heavier duty version of this.

I've had it stuck under big slabs of rock and been able to pull straight forward over it and get it to slide out. There was one situation where I would have had to cut it free if the water was too much deeper. It had slid under a rock thick enough that the ring wasn't able to slide anywhere. I was in about 15ft of water, so I just swam down and pulled it free, but even that was a bit of work.

lingcod

Petty Officer 2nd Class

View attachment 119821

out here that setup is called "Columbia River Anchor System" strange to see "our" anchoring systems way over there.