Camper Enclosure

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We have a Monterey 264 bowrider, got her this summer. Now my wife wants a camper enclosure that will zip onto the bimini, the bimini already has the zipper and it's all set up for one. My question is for those who have an enclosure on a similar size bowrider, do you ever use it? It seams to me it would be a hassel and hardly ever used, too hot to sleep outside in the summer here in mid TN.

What's your thoughts? Thanks

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Camper Enclosure

If your wife wants it and you want to keep boating i think it wouldn't matter what we say.I use mine at night when i stay on board. It keeps bugs away and the dew out of boat.If you decide on one look on your bimi tags and see who made it. The manufacture usally keeps the patterns and could make you one sight unseen that fits perfect.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Years back we had a 19' Glastron bowrider with full sleep aboard canvas. We used it and loved it. Neat thing was when not in use we could roll it up and stuff it under one of the fold out seats.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I built one for my brother's previous boat and his current boat has one as well. In Florida, if you want to camp on your boat, you'll need one. The skeeters here are big enough to stand flat-footed and rape pigeons.

His boat is A/C'd. He opens the cabin door and it cools off the majority of the cockpit.

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of your imput. With or without one the wife will keep boating, been doing it for 12 years now. Now that we have one big enough she just wants the enclosure. Guess I'll look into it, I've wasted more money than the enclosure will cost on worse things.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Thanks for all of your imput. With or without one the wife will keep boating, been doing it for 12 years now. Now that we have one big enough she just wants the enclosure. Guess I'll look into it, I've wasted more money than the enclosure will cost on worse things.

If you use it, then it's not a waste, it's simply a purchase.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Enclosures are great for extending the season. You can start boating earlier in the spring and keep going later in the fall. We've been out on Lake Michigan when it was 45 degrees out and were nice and comfortable with the canvas all buttoned up. I would guess that we get an extra month at each end of the season with the canvas.

Oh yeah, we had a full canvas on a 21 ft cuddy cabin.
6700_1180606361522_1419064192_518073_566827_n.jpg

Summer Fun

Banned

That looks more like a slant back canvas than a camper canvas. :confused:

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think that is referred to as an "aft curtain". Makes for a tight fit for transom seat passengers, but is fine if you're at the helm. I never really understood that design because for practically the same money, you CAN have a full camper canvas enclosure, and walk around deck standing upright.

madolive3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I built one for my brother's previous boat and his current boat has one as well. In Florida, if you want to camp on your boat, you'll need one. The skeeters here are big enough to stand flat-footed and rape pigeons.

His boat is A/C'd. He opens the cabin door and it cools off the majority of the cockpit.

I almost fell off my chair when I read this. Those ARE big skeeters.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have full canvas for my Monterey and use it on overnights, pop up showers, wind swept spray, cool days on the water, and when sitting in the slip. I would say we have it up 1/4 of the time boating. My cockpit cover gets the majority of the work for storage in driveway, storage at the marina when noone will be on board for a few days, trailering long distances.

You will enjoy the full canvas when there is a pop up shower and it pouring for 30 minutes and you are serving another round of drinks waiting for it to pass and everyone is dry. Happy wife = Happy life, Just a wife = a living hell. ( Just kidding sweety)

bekosh

Lieutenant

That looks more like a slant back canvas than a camper canvas. :confused:
That's true. It's not technically a camper canvas. I always just called it a full enclosure.
I think that is referred to as an "aft curtain". Makes for a tight fit for transom seat passengers, but is fine if you're at the helm. I never really understood that design because for practically the same money, you CAN have a full camper canvas enclosure, and walk around deck standing upright.
The Wellcraft had sport seating with a bench seat and a sunpad across the back so the slant didn't cause any problem for the rear seat passengers. If you have seating that is all the way back to transom, then head room is a problem with the slant back and a vertical camper back would be better. That is the situation on my Cruisers.

Attachments

• 319659_2528268092223_1419064192_3023858_1635062688_n.jpg
    319659_2528268092223_1419064192_3023858_1635062688_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-02_14-57-05_293.jpg
    2011-09-02_14-57-05_293.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

IMGP0343.jpg

We love ours. Of course it's not on a bowrider but it's great for overnighting or if a rain storm sneaks up on you.