Key west gas tank filling problem

Irishcs

Recruit
Have a Key Largo 175...having problem getting gas into tank. Replaced vent port...no change. Opened tank port and see three hoses to top...one fill and two others. Any ideas on what I should do next?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Key west gas tank filling problem

Key Largo or Key West?!? :confused:

In any case, three hoses:

1) Fill hose from gas cap to tank
2) Vent hose
3) Supply hose to engine

More than likely if the vent port is OK, then there is a kink in the vent tube or a restriction in the strainer of the fill tube. Some boats have a screen or other object in the gas fill hose to keep debris from getting into the tank or to keep peopl from siphoning gas out of the tank (this is not the 'anti-siphon' valve). Disconnect the fuel vent hose and give it a slight tug and twist to see if it stretches out at all. Could just be a kink in the line. It's always better to see if you can feel or see the entire length of it, so get your arms and head in there to see if you can.

If no love with that, you can remove the fill hose from the tank put it in a bucket. Have someone pour some fuel or whatever thru it so see if it pours freely. Make sure if you use gas that the battery is disconnected and there are no sparking hazards.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most likely the vent tube is swollen shut from ethanol containing fuel. It may look OK on the outside but if you cut it open you will find it nearly closed from swelling. Replace your vent line and might as well replace your fuel line with new line from an auto parts store that is intended for use with ethanol blended fuels.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Most likely the vent tube is swollen shut from ethanol containing fuel.

Nope. 1) The vent hose doesn't contain fuel. 2) It's 5/8" ID. No way that'll swell shut. 3) Any hose actually carrying ethanol-laced fuel, that isn't formulated for ethanol, would have to be so old that it should be replaced anyway.

Fireman has the right ideas.

My .02

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nope. 1) The vent hose doesn't contain fuel. 2) It's 5/8" ID. No way that'll swell shut. 3) Any hose actually carrying ethanol-laced fuel, that isn't formulated for ethanol, would have to be so old that it should be replaced anyway.

Fireman has the right ideas.

My .02

Fireman may be right, dunno but a vent line can and does get fuel in it and 5/8 line can and will swell shut, seen it several times. As well, I have seen fuel line not compatible with ethanol on brand new boats, sorry, you are wrong.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Unless the vent line is misrouted, and allows fuel to 'pool' in it (causing a blockage which would consequently cause the backup problem the OP is experiencing), it can't contain fuel.

Non-ethanol-resistant fuel line in new boats? Where have you 'seen' that? Ethanol has been a common additive for decades. Fexible fuel hoses certified for auto or marine use have been formulated to handle it for many, many years.

I stand by what I wrote. We'll have to agree to disagree.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You also may be simply submerging the vent connection as you fuel the tank.

If the vent and fill connections are forward in the tank, try elevating the bow slightly when filling. If the connections are aft in the tank, lower the bow slightly.