Key West Gelcoat Question

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice
I have read a few comments at times about Key West being a good inshore boat but not really tough; comments were made about them having a light gelcoat coating; these may have been older boats or just misinformation. I have heard nothing but good comments about their boats. I have been to their website and and they seem to be very reputable. I have watched the owner's video description about his boats and everything seems to be A+.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Key West Gelcoat Question

hi.....welcome to iboats

have you owned one?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What does the phrase " a light gel coating" mean to you? I just want to be sure what is meant by that before attempting to answer the question.

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cpt dale, I have a Key West (15' Explorer). I picked it up very used for $1600 B/M/T that was back in 2006. I have tourtured that boat! drilled dozens of holes in it, ran it full speed on to a mud bar that was covered by an inch of water (didn't even see the bar) fish the back country with it along with the reef 6 miles off shore if the water is 2'or less. let me tell you they are tough boats! the hill is pretty thick glass and the gel coat seems to be normal thickness and even a little thick in areas. 100% form filled even more foam in this little boat than in a Carolina Skiff. I replaced the fuel vent which was located just below the rub rail and it was all foam around the hose every space between the hull/deck and sides is foam you couldn't sink it if you wanted to. I had some issues with a bait well pick-up that came loose allowing water to enter the boat and soaked the inside of the transom, every thing seemed to dry out ok no water log and no soft spots. the merc 60hp that is on it has since died and the rig is just sitting behind my house. i got a nother boat now 17.7' enterprise, but i love that little key west so much i cant get rid of it. It is in real rough shape now (internal fuel tank got a hole in it so had to cut the deck to get it out), but it has been such a great little boat i will strip it down to bare hull and rebuild her one day. it drafts about 5" and is just light enough that if you get stuck you can lift and turn the bow out to deeper water, it is a work out to push but have never been stranded because of not being able to get her to deeper water. my only complaint with the one i have and also the 22' i tried out is they are wet boats! the slightest ripple in the water and you are going to catch the spray!

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comments;I plan to possible purchase in the spring a 176 dc. Does your last comment mean that it is a wet boat with the slightest splash. I looks as though it has high sides and a good v shape. Do you mean when the boat is at anchor or when crossing a bay.

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice

I think when I read these comments somewhere it might have meant the fibeglass outer coating...really not sure what they meant. The discussion was tying up to rig platform and bouncing up against something hard. The person then said it is a good boat for light duty on inside waters.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I think when I read these comments somewhere it might have meant the fibeglass outer coating...really not sure what they meant. The discussion was tying up to rig platform and bouncing up against something hard. The person then said it is a good boat for light duty on inside waters.

I would just forget about that comment, it sounds like a misunderstanding, or just a mistake in what he wanted to say.

I have been reviewing options for a new boat...maybe should say newer...and I am one of those that shops and investigates things to death before I part with my hard earned money. The Key West boats caught my eye a while back and a lot of it had to do with the no wood design. After restoring my last boat and being a55 to elbows in rotting, stinking wood, I really would like to review the alternative in manufacturing. Still I reviewed a million sites and talked with a bunch of owners and the ALL said the same thing--nice boats and the would not part with them. The typical response? "I love my boat." Can't say what I will buy next, but Key West is high on my list.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1988 DC 17' that my dad bought new. I run it hard and it holds up well. And unlike the other good reviewer, I run mine aground a lot! We kept it moored all summer, sometimes covered in the winter, sometimes not. It has held up for how I use it (like a pick-up truck, and not a touring sedan).

My hull is the flat "bay boat" design and it is wet and bumpy in chop. You are probably looking at the deep V with higher sides (someone else was just asking about this--you?) which solves that problem.

If it has the outside fuel vent, bypass that and install a vented fill cap. That vent cost me a motor, and a lot of aggravation before it overcame the motor.

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice

I am just like you...I am not over anxious. I am approaching 70 and had a boat 20 years ago but because of job complications had little or no time to fish; I am now retired and miss having a boat. This may be the last boat I will purchase and I want it to be a good one and the best that I can afford. I like the Key West 176 dc and it seems to offer a lot. I originally considered a Tracker 175 or 185 Combo but when I compared it with the Key West the Key West seemed to come with so many standard features. I think having carpeting on the front or back could become a problem with bloody fish or smashed bait under your feet or other things that happen while fishing. I like being able to wash down the deck when needed during a fishing trip when time permits and many of the other features that come with the key west boats.

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should have been a little more specific in my last post. My 15' key west "explorer" is a wet boat meaning you better have a rain suit on even on a perfect day if you want to stay dry. The sides of the hull in the front 1/3 of the boat is shaped similar to a Dory with VERY little flare. so any wave/chop/wake you cross, the water is riding up the side and splashing you. it almost seems like it was designed for all the splash to land driectly in your lap! It is a tough boat though! I've been caught it 4'-5' seas in it and when we got to the pass there were 7' rollers, i wished i was any where in the world but on the boat at that time, we got soaked but got in safely. i have been totaly airborne in it comming off of waves and it held up fine. sorta did my own tourture test on it. the 20/21' we took out was their bay boat and it was a very nice boat but wet as well. that was my only complaint about that boat is i just once wished i could go out fishing and stay dry!

idonthaveaname-- they do advertise NO WOOD NO ROT, but let me tell you there is wood in there! I know that the boat is mostly fiberglass/foam/and core board, but when i cut open my deck to replace the built in fuel tank there was sogy wood around the fuel tank! don't know where else in the boat wood was used if it was used in other areas. the wood i found looked to be a spacer between the stringers and the deck floor.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

my 17 is wet, too, and probably the same low "bay boat" design hull. They also have a line with a higher profile, carolina flare, deep v.
I haev found wood in mine, too. Maybe they mean no wood in the stringers and transom.