Bow cover pole fell, water and mildew inside

Pete1burn

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It's been about 4 weeks since I was last at my camp with my boat. The last time I had it out, I parked it and put up the bow and deck cover with the poles. At some point in the last month, the bow cover pole fell, and the rain of course pooled up in the front and dripped into the boat. My wife went up yesterday and said the boat is soaked and stinks of mildew, and she can see some spots forming on the seats. I had her leave it uncovered since it's supposed to be in the 80s for the next couple of days. I'm also calling the local boat shop soon to come pick it up for winterizing and storage.

I had thought I would be going up again in the past month so even the life jackets and supplies were under the back seats. Those are all covered in mold now too. No idea how to clean those. Any ideas?

Problem is I don't want to leave it in that condition for the winter. Do I need to go up there and power wash the carpet before storing it? Wipe everything down with bleach or something? Pay the boat shop a little extra to make sure it's extra clean or something? I'm mostly worried about the deck. Reading all of these horror stories of rotting decks and stringers has me paranoid. The boat wasn't expensive, but it was a lot for us and I want it to last.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

glastron09

Cadet
Re: Bow cover pole fell, water and mildew inside

clean and dry up as best you can then put Damp Rid in it , works for us

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow cover pole fell, water and mildew inside

Clorox kills viruses, germs, and mildew. Doesn't take a lot to work. Like I put in 1/4 cup to 50 gallons of water in my stock tanks and it keeps the algae out.

Mix some up, spray it on, let it do it's thing (couple of days-week roughly), get some soap and water, scrub brush or whatever and scrub off the dead scum. If you are picky you could get some of the hot dog auto wash and spend a few more bucks to do the same thing.

Then let it sun dry and you are good to go...I would be.

Mark