Seal Large Seam in Aluminum Boat

fagan

Recruit
I have a 1994 Alumacraft 17' boat. It has a 5/16" x 4'6" seam opening at the front of the boat. I have removed the old seam filler/sealer because it is leaking. Any suggestions as to what kind of filler/sealer I can use to fix the crack/leak?

Kraig

aeviaanah

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Seal Large Seam in Aluminum Boat

Check home depot for a 3m 5200 caulking. Its marine grade and it good stuff. Be sure to clean the aluminum prior to application.

cribber

Lieutenant

Hit it with a green scotch-brite pad to clean and scuff the surfaces, give it a wipe down with alcohol or something similar, and use the 3M 5200 suggested above.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

What caused the seam to open? Missing rivets?

I have never seen a 5/16 gap in a hull seam without having some sort of damage or many missing rivets.
Certainly not on an Alumacraft, and we've had several over 45 years old.

gus-gus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds to me that you must be missing the connecting component, sometimes called a chine, sometimes called an "angle" but there must have been something there before.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Is there a part of the boat missing or are there a ton a loose rivets and how exactly did you remove the sealer????

You really don't want to band aid this fix, if i am thinking of the correct part that is a huge part of the boat and sealer won't hold.

Get up a pic if you can so we can have a better idea what you are talking about because that is very out of the ordinary.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Replace the rivets in that seam and then seal it. Just puting goop on it is a temporary fix.