• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seal Large Seam in Aluminum Boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seal Large Seam in Aluminum Boat

I have a 1994 Alumacraft 17' boat. It has a 5/16" x 4'6" seam opening at the front of the boat. I have removed the old seam filler/sealer because it is leaking. Any suggestions as to what kind of filler/sealer I can use to fix the crack/leak?

Kraig

Re: Seal Large Seam in Aluminum Boat

Check home depot for a 3m 5200 caulking. Its marine grade and it good stuff. Be sure to clean the aluminum prior to application.

Comment

^^^^yep !
      sigpic 1981 Glastron SX-190 300hp 350 SBC
      Living the Dream

Comment

Hit it with a green scotch-brite pad to clean and scuff the surfaces, give it a wipe down with alcohol or something similar, and use the 3M 5200 suggested above.
        sigpic

We be boat peeps
        2008 GT-185 3.0l Penta

Comment

What caused the seam to open? Missing rivets?

I have never seen a 5/16 gap in a hull seam without having some sort of damage or many missing rivets.
          Certainly not on an Alumacraft, and we've had several over 45 years old.
          Medford, WI

Comment

It sounds to me that you must be missing the connecting component, sometimes called a chine, sometimes called an "angle" but there must have been something there before.
            1987 Boston Whaler 18.6 Outrage with Merc 150 and Honda 8.

Comment

Is there a part of the boat missing or are there a ton a loose rivets and how exactly did you remove the sealer????

You really don't want to band aid this fix, if i am thinking of the correct part that is a huge part of the boat and sealer won't hold.

Get up a pic if you can so we can have a better idea what you are talking about because that is very out of the ordinary.
              GO IRISH!!!!

Comment

Replace the rivets in that seam and then seal it. Just puting goop on it is a temporary fix.
                I consider overkill a job well done... plus a little extra.

There's as many ways to do something as there is people to tell you how to do it... but not all of them are the right way.

The drinking and debauchery will continue until morale improves... and maybe for a little while after.

Comment

Working...
                X