Fire extinguisher safety: expiration date rules?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fire extinguisher safety: expiration date rules?

learned a couple things from this thread. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

My boat is CG inspected every spring. Gauge in the red passes, but they will warn when the contents are compacted as determined by shaking.
If your goal is to pass inspection your good with gauge in the red. If your goal is to actually put a fire, then replace on a regular basis.

Old flares get used to start the burn pile. Old fire extinguishers get used in the equipment shed

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fire extinguisher safety

What you should do is see the local CG AUX flotilla and schedule a CME.

CWO Joel Moore

What is a CME? I'm guessing the E is for "evaluation" - but C? M?

britisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having read all the comments on this thread, there appear to be a lot of 'mixed messages' from posters who are expressing an opinion from another situation, other than the marine situation that is the point in question.
My view would be that it is a boat. You must satisfy the requirements of the regulatory body (Coast Guard) for your Boat. it is not a building, and thus you do not need to meet any requirements that a local fire department may have for building/construction codes. This is where the mixed massages are coming from.
We all want to be safe on a boat and we all want to meet the legal requirements for our boats. These are ste by the CG and that is the end of it , as far as I am concerned. If you wish to enhance the level of fire protection on your boat above and beyond what the CG stipulate, then it is your prerogative.
Just my 5 cents worth

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Quote Originally Posted by jmoore73 View Post
What you should do is see the local CG AUX flotilla and schedule a CME.

CWO Joel Moore"

What is a CME? I'm guessing the E is for "evaluation" - but C? M?

Anybody?

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Asked a local marine LEO for a safety inspection this past weekend. I passed with flying colors. One issue was the fire extinguisher, its a 2012 date stamped on the bottom. I pilot an 18 foot pontoon boat with an outboard motor. The LEO mentioned the extinguisher should be replaced every year regardless of the pointer being fully in the green. So I found this:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You found this;

Myth #3: Fire extinguishers get old and go ?bad? every year.
Reality: Unlike flares, fire extinguishers have no expiration date. To meet US Coast Guard carriage requirements however, the extinguisher must be Coast Guard approved and in ?good and serviceable? condition. The charge indicator needs to be in the green zone, the nozzle free of obstruction and the cylinder not rusted.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would think that actual date code on the bottom is meaningless since most fire extinguishers can be refilled and recertified. We did have a few refilled and recertified at our locate fire station years ago. Not sure they do that anymore though.