replaceing fuel deck fill - glued on?

regal_bill

Cadet
I need to replace my fuel deck fill - the plastic ring that is supposed to hold the cap doesn't. I could get a new cap but I would just lose it (again) because the retention ring is worn.

I thought the whole thing was just held on by the three mounting screws - but it appears that it is "glued" to the fiberglass with some sort of epoxy. Anyone have any experience here? How do I get the old one off? What do I use to glue the new one on?

Thanks for any input....

Bill

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: replaceing fuel deck fill - glued on?

It's whatever adhesive/sealant was applied under the flange to keep things watertight. It's a matter of removing the screws and 'cutting' through the seal so you can pry the deck plate off. A butter knife or putty knife should work. Then you'll scrape off the residue. It's also possible that the fuel fill hose is helping to hold it down, too. That hose is awful stiff. You might need to unclamp and remove it before pulling the plate off.

Since the deck fitting is above water, most anything will serve to seal it when you install the new one, from silicone to polyurethane to 3M 5200.

My .02

regal_bill

Cadet

Thanks for the input! I'll try your approach. The hose will definitely need to be unclamped before removing the assembly.

Bill

Fed

Commander

Take a lot of care when re-sealing it Bill, water under that skin fitting will lay in the the fill hose clamp area and finish up in your tank.
Probably the biggest cause of fuel tank condensation ever. *serious joke*