Opinions on Key West 176dc

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice
I am giving strong consideration for purchasing the key west 176 dc but would like to ask anyone who has owned one or someone who has fished out of one if the bow area has sufficient room for a pedestal seat for that area. It appears to be a beautiful deep v boat and I know Key West has a great reputation for quality. The windsheild looks too sleek for me. I am six feet tall and would not want to get adequate wind and spray protection on a rough bay.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Opinions on Key West 176dc

I have a 1988 Key West DC, 17', that my dad bought new. 70 hp OMC is plenty of motor.

However, mine is the bay boat design and yours may be the deep v.

My bow area has a large platform/locker which is great for fishing, but I wouldn't put a seat on it since it's a hatch. Also as a salt water boater, we don't use pedestal seats much (aka high chairs). I love the open area in the front as well as the rear, since the helm and passenger chair are single low seats. My windshileds are almost straight up and the "consoles" are minimal. It's a great marsh and shallow water boat but is very bumpy and wet in open water with chop. Safe, though.

i think they are pretty well made for a mid-range boat. Mine was the first year of the model so it had some bugs.

captaindale

Seaman Apprentice

You have just convinced me that I should not be concerning myself with the placement of a casting chair in the bow section of the 176dc of the Key West. You are right about saltwater vs fresh water fishing. I will be doing mainly marsh saltwater fishing and the open bow will be fine. I hope the 2012 models are not wet as you described. It is a deep V design and I would think that that enables one to have pretty smooth ride in a modest chop on a bay. This boat has a complete windsheild with the opening to the bow; it can be purchased with a windsheild that is not as sleek as the picture on the key west website shows. Thanks for the comments

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've seen the deep V Key west and a friend who is a big Chesbay fisherman has one. I recall they have good high sides. You should be fine; have fun and tight lines!