Jabsco Manual Marine Toilet

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've looked at a couple boats equipped with Jabsco manual pump marine toilets. Are these toilets suitable for head calls beyond routine bladder draining?

soggy_feet

Re: Jabsco Manual Marine Toilet

I'd suggest 'going' before you go out on the water, but if nature calls, it'll do the job.

Its just not real pleasant standing there slowly pumping down what you would normally flush and walk away from, and there WILL be skidmarks.

I have a wilcox crittenden, but it's pretty much the same thing.

beau262

Cadet

Yes! But there is a trick to it.

Preload the bowl!!!

Pour in 1/3 gallon of water before you have a seat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Preload the bowl!!!

You can also flip the lever to the left and pump a few times beforehand. That'll put water into the bowl. Use marine, camping or single-ply TP and use it sparingly. Don't fill the bowl with paper- flush multiple times if you need to instead.

Jabscos are cheap and have weak pump action. The pumps need rebuilding every few years. If the pump doesn't operate correctly in one or both directions, the rebuild kit will cost you about $50., or you can buy the complete pump for about $10. more. It takes all of 15 minutes to swap out the pump. I did it at the beginning of this season. Easy job.

My .02

four winns 214

Thanks, everybody, for the "poop" on this subject!

beau262

Cadet

You can also flip the lever to the left and pump a few times beforehand. That'll put water into the bowl.

Yes! Good point, thanks for adding that. 100% of our boating is in salt water, 90% of our flushing is done with fresh water from a jug to eliminate the smell you get with brackish or salty water sitting in the waste tank.

soggy_feet

Preload the bowl!!!

Must be a diet thing, because that's what I do, but it makes no difference.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Yes! Good point, thanks for adding that. 100% of our boating is in salt water, 90% of our flushing is done with fresh water from a jug to eliminate the smell you get with brackish or salty water sitting in the waste tank.

We boat in salt, too. We flush the bowl empty, THEN dump a cupful of fresh into the bowl and leave it until the next flush. That seems to help. I also installed a hook and eye to prop the head door open an inch when it isn't being used. That made a big difference too in the odor when I open the head door after the boat's been sitting at the dock.