Roostertail in Wake-- Crownline 242

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm considering the purchase of a Crownline 242 pocket cruiser. The mission for the boat is day cruising, an occasional overnight, and some watersports. I realize the boat's forte is not watersports, but I do need to be able to pull a skier or a tube. I went out on a prospective boat today and noticed a considerable roostertail smack in the middle of the wake as the owner made a 15 minute demo cruise. I've never dealt with a boat that made such a roostertail and know nothing of the dynamics that create one.

My question is how are roostertails formed in a wake and is there anything that can be done to mitigate them? The boat is equipped with trim tabs. Can these be adjusted to eliminate or reduce the roostertail? The outdrive is a Bravo III.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Roostertail in Wake-- Crownline 242

Rooster tail can be caused by many factors, generally not good for boat performance. Common problem would be stern drive kicked up too far and just shooting water in the air. Trim, whether it be tabs or prop matching can also do the same sort of thing but the rooster will look different. Watching while someone else drives and makes adjustments is likely the best way to figure out what is causing this boats problem.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

for towing.... trim down and the rooster tail should disappear..... take another test ride and try that out....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i have to agree.......the boat was not trimmed right.

he had the drive a way up to high......that would cause a porpus.....however to compensate.....he had full tabs to keep the nose flat.

very inefficent

four winns 214

I pointed out the roostertail to the owner. He did all the driving. He said, "you need a long tow rope with this boat". I couldn't believe that was his only solution, but I didn't get the opportunity to try my hand at handling the boat. I don't remember seeing such a roostertail with other similar boats. If I more seriously pursue this vessel, I'll see what I can do.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How big of a rooster tail are we talking? Some boats have some inherrant wake attributes - especially a boat of that size. Most likely is trim related, but want to get an idea of how big a tail you were seeing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Improperly installed transducer?

Maybe a previous owner deliberately installed a rooster tail device like we used to do in the 1950"s!

haulnazz15

Captain

Yeah, it would be better to see what type of "rooster tail" we are talking about. Normally when people refer to a rooster tail, they liken it to the ultra high performance boats with the tail of water spraying up into the air. However, I have seen some people refer to a rooster tail as an anamoly in the wake that appears 20-30ft back, sort of a roller on one side of the wake. If water was spraying into the air, or causing a large bump in the middle of the wake, trim adjustment is likely the issue. If the bump was to one side of the wake further back, it may be part of the hull design causing the issue, or some accessory in the water (like the transducer mentioned earlier).

I also agree that if you were testing this boat, you should have been driving.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

No amount of engine trim will ever cause a rooster tail. Its due to a protrusion below the bottom of the boat.

Likely that we're talkimg about some spray here, not the real thing. We need pics.

four winns 214

Pardon my asking but WHY? Thats kind of like sitting in the back seat and lettting the car sales man take you for a "test drive".
Because he didn't offer me the helm. If I pursue this boat further, I will do a complete sea trial and survey.

four winns 214

No amount of engine trim will ever cause a rooster tail. Its due to a protrusion below the bottom of the boat.

Likely that we're talkimg about some spray here, not the real thing. We need pics.
Whatever it is, it would be a most unpleasant ride for anyone on a tube or skis. The roostertail or spray forms right at the head of the wake's "V", smack in the middle, and sprays about three feet back from there. I agree with an earlier poster that it is caused by poor management of trim tabs and outdrive tilt.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Whatever it is, it would be a most unpleasant ride for anyone on a tube or skis. The roostertail or spray forms right at the head of the wake's "V", smack in the middle, and sprays about three feet back from there. I agree with an earlier poster that it is caused by poor management of trim tabs and outdrive tilt.

That explains everything. Trim too high.

A "Roostertail" is vertical.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

forwinns....it is possible that the hull had modifications to it......thus causing an improper transom angle.

that would be why the improper drive angle of attack.....and the need for tabs to compensate......if you look farther into the boat......take a protractor to the transom....it should read 110 deg

if its is 110....then the guy just didnt know how to drive his own boat.

its only a 24......the engine and b3 should lift it out of the water no problem with out tabs

88wellcraft

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2000 four winns that throws about a 4 -5 foot tail when on a plane trimmed all the way down. when i trim out to the proper angle the tail disappears.

four winns 214

the guy just didnt know how to drive his own boat.
I think you're on to something. I've never handled a boat with trim tabs, but I think I could figure it out pretty quickly after 30 years of using trim on airplanes. As I said, I didn't get to handle the boat, but it did seem that it was taking a lot of power for the speed it was attaining. Some of that probably had to do with a cruddy bottom.

This is the second Crownline 242 I've looked at. The first one a few weeks back was immaculately clean, but apparently suffered from mechanical neglect. When we took the boat out, about 90 seconds after the owner got it on plane, the engine alarm went off. HE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS! I looked at his engine gauges and saw the coolant temp headed towards the peg. I suggested he throttle back and shut down. We had to be towed in because the engine wouldn't turn over after it was shutdown. I should have known. Earlier, he told me, "I change oil on my boats every other season". I don't know the cause of the overheat, but I'll bet the impeller received the same type of attention.