Do we still need a compass in our boats?

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am about to install my GPS in my new to me Starcraft 2212. My dash has so little space it looks as if the compass might have to go.
My question seems to be are the days of the compass over?

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Do we still need a compass in our boats?

I am about to install my GPS in my new to me Starcraft 2212. My dash has so little space it looks as if the compass might have to go.
My question seems to be are the days of the compass over?

No!!

Anything electric is vulnerable to failure and a compass, though vulnerable, is still needed as a back up.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

I have a compass and an Iphone...

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One of my dockmates lost his GPS coming back from the islands at night with seven people on board about a month ago. I guess you could ask him.

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class

No!!

Anything electric is vulnerable to failure and a compass, though vulnerable, is still needed as a back up.

Could not agree more. You're setting yourself up for failure if you don't have one. Murphy will be there laughing at you
when you need one and you don't have it.

See you on the lake (hopefully with a compass)

Joe

southkogs

Staff member

I was at Jamestown last year in Virginia and spent some time talking with one of the docents on board the Susan Constant. Humorously, I stumbled across the closet where all the electronic gear is that the USCG requires them to carry when they're out on the Chesapeake. He really enjoyed telling me that they use all of the "historic" tools (lead and line, chip and log, compass, traverse board, diptych, etc.) to calibrate the electronic gear.

Electronics may fail giving a depth sounding, but a hunk of lead on a line pretty much works all the time. A compass can fail, but not as often as a GPS runs out of batteries.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Definitely keep the compass. In addition, always have paper charts of the areas you're boating or planning on boating. Don't rely upon or allow yourself to become dependent upon electronic devices. They are a wonderful convenience. They can allow a disaster if relied upon completely, though.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Back in late April we where "scanned" by something that took out the GPS on the chart plotter and an Iphone. Overcast day. Fifteen miles out of port. Couldn't see land in any direction. Came back right down the middle of the channel using a compass and papercharts as backup.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It depends on where you're boating. On inland lakes or rivers where one is never out of sight of land, a compass is not necessary. Mine pretty much just spins in the dash while I'm under way. I'd definitely want one if going out of sight of land. Another option would be to buy an orienteering compass and put it in the glove box just in case you need it.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I agree^^for many boaters you may not need a dash-mounted compass but always have at least a "hand held." If you boat in open water, best to have a dash mount. remember, "out of sight of land" can be 100 yards.

Also, in many places (such as lower Chesapeake Bay) wind direction is one of the most important conditions to read accurately. Wind from a certain direction can mean the difference in getting home dry, safe, or at all. A working compass covers this.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Having boated most of my life and owning my own before I had a car to tow it (used mom's) I have always had a compass in the boat, along with a paddle with sufficient shank length to accommodate the boat. The several years that I was a Sea Explorer Scout (BSA) helped me appreciate the safety aspects of boating.

One day I was out on a man made, inland lake of about 10,000 acres and a dense fog rolled in. I couldn't see 10' from the boat. It was the most erie feeling I ever had on the water. Other than my compass to tell me where to go, the only other direction finding that I had was the waves. I knew the wind was out of the South and with that and my compass I made it back to dock before someone ran into me or I crashed into a semi-submerged tree stump.

Mark

sschefer

Rear Admiral

It depends on where you're boating. On inland lakes or rivers where one is never out of sight of land, a compass is not necessary. Mine pretty much just spins in the dash while I'm under way. I'd definitely want one if going out of sight of land. Another option would be to buy an orienteering compass and put it in the glove box just in case you need it.
I use my compass a lot when I'm fishing inland lakes. If I want to stay on course it's just easier to pick a heading and watch the compass. I have just about every nav aid you could imagine but I still give that little old compass a lot of attention.

shrew

Lieutenant

It's my opinion that a Compass is a critical piece of equipment. IF the GPS dies or you have some issues acquiring a sat., or you simply have an electrical issue. A compass and a paper chart will still get you home. I have GPS and Radar. The Radar doesn't tell you where are, only what is around you. The GPS does tell me where I am, HOWEVER at night or in the fog, when moving at headway speed, the GPS will tell me where I am, but not necessarily which direction I'm travelling in. The GPS needs to extrpolate the pattern of previous locations to provide a bearing. If you're moving too slowly it will not be able to calculate in time. This causes the direction indicator to flop around wildly. The compass allows me to hold an accurate course. So in the case of limited visibility at slow speeds, the compass becomes critical.

Just my .02

notop

Seaman Apprentice

A agree 100% with the others that you should have a compass. And charts. I've been dealing with GPS units and chartplotters for about 17 years now. All makes, all models, and I can tell you with absolute conviction that it is not a question of IF the GPS will fail, it is only a question of WHEN. Keep your compass, create a Deviation Table for it, and keep it handy and current.

Philster

Captain

I have a depth sounder and bottom mapper. Last time I was out, my buddy was testing the depth with a pole, because both were not reading anything.

Compass: Oh yes.

Just to pile on :)

chriscraft254

Commander

Depends on how and where you use your boat. A lot of boats have never had a compass on them from the manufacturer. How much did you use your compass before? If you locate your electronics close to the compass, the compass will not read accurate anyway. I have 2 hds-7, both wired individually so I always have a back-up. I do still have a compass, but will probably never need it again since I have chart plotter,radar etc. If you are on small lakes and rivers, the need is limited to extreme situations, maybe fog and loss of power all at the same time. I know alot of boaters that have never used a compass and some that don't even know the relation of north to there area.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Agree completely with this.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Back in late April we where "scanned" by something that took out the GPS on the chart plotter and an Iphone. Overcast day. Fifteen miles out of port. Couldn't see land in any direction. Came back right down the middle of the channel using a compass and papercharts as backup.

this is a perfect example of why you need one if on big water.

(its also a perfect example of why we need your location in your avatar ;)

quoting JB......."the ocean has no forgiveness for the un prepared

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Not being cruel but I wonder how many average boaters know how to use a compass effectively?
I doubt many would make it home in a heavy fog with just a compass and a chart