Scupper vs. Self Bail? Help

masoptions

Cadet
I have a 23' Wellcraft with IO. The deck is at or slightly above the water line. The boat was designed so that deck water drains into the bildge.

I hate this design and would like to know if anyone out there has a solution?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Scupper vs. Self Bail? Help

this has been discussed before--don't try cutting your own scuppers. instead, focus on your bilge pump and redundancy. One of mine is like that and I wish it weren't but I've gotten along.

When determining your bilge pump needs, consider two functions: one is to keep the bilge relatively dry from splashing, rain at the mooring. etc. The other is to evacuate a large volume of water if you stuff the bow or get caught in a bad storm.

masoptions

Cadet

Thank you that is great advise
I have a 23' IO cutty cabin. What size bilge pumps do you think would be appropriate ?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

When you do determine how much capacity you need just remember that bilge pump capacities as printed on the pump packaging are misleading. Manufacturers rate them at "zero lift" - i.e. the equivalent of just stirring water around in your bilge without getting the water out of your boat. For the pump to lift the water up the output hose and overboard, sometimes a distance of two or three feet, the capacity of the pump drops considerably from what is advertised.