Sound deadener and non-skid?

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
I have a can of Plasti-Dip (used it for the gutter leak), and was wondering if anyone has ever used this stuff to reduce the sound from their doghouse (I/O cover, not Fido's abode)? Seems like you can get it pretty thick, and it's essentially a rubber layer....

Also, looking for something I can spray on the area between my gauge panel and windsheild, that would help to keep things from sliding around (cell phone, etc.). I can only find the PlastiDip in black locally, and would prefer a clear or a white. Anyone have any ideas?

Lakes84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sound deadener and non-skid?

Very good question Beefer......any specific type of foam? thickness?

chriscraft254

Commander

I'm actually going to be doing this project over the winter. My I/O cover will get sound deadening insulation, some air space and then glassed over. No specs yet, but will post when I do it. Without the airspace between layers, you will not deaden the sound much because it will just transfer to the next layer. I can say this to answer your question more directly, when I Rhino lined my jeeps interior,1/4 inch thick.. The sound was cut in half. Not sure the plastidip would work or not.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You want to spend the money you can use dynamat (big bucks) or just about any foil coated foam insulation.

As far as a non slip surface you have many choices. There are clear chip guard sprays for cars that can be non slip or even spray clear and add in a bit of non slip additive (Sand) or just lay in a piece of shelf liner from wally world.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I went with the foil backed fiber insulation that is used for car floorboards. Use some spray adhesive and you are golden. Made a world of difference! Can barely hear the engine at idle.