Registration question HELP!!!!! Canadian side

Sunbird1000

Cadet
I was given a 1961 Starcraft "Sunbird: 14 ft with motor and trailer for free..... its in great shape just needs a new floor and seats. 35 Evinrude runs GREAT !

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the paperwork from the Old lady who gave it to me (can't remember where they are )
Now I know I have to apply for a Pleasure Craft Licence from the Canadian Coast Guard ( thats the Number on the hull of the boat right ) ? and put it in my name,
but do I have to Registry the boat as well ?? they say its a $250.00 fee

her husband used the boat say 5 years ago before he died and just sat under a tree since. so I would think the boat is in his name

not sure what to do
I'm new to all this

don't want to get too far into this before I get all the paperwork in my name.

I live in Ontario

thanks
Mike

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Registration question HELP!!!!!

Ayuh,... Ya probably oughta edit yer title to reflect that this is a Canadian question,...

Us, down here in the States, have to deal with each State, 'n they're All Different...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats, Sunbird.

Registering and Licencing are different. Pleasure craft must be licenced - registering is optional unless you use it commercially. From what I gather most pleasure craft are not registered in Canada - Check out the Transport Canada link below. They should also be able to help you navigate the paperwork requirements for ownership transfer. It may just be enough to have a bill of sale.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-menu-425.htm

Jeep Man

Commander

Any craft with a motor 10 hp or larger must be registered.
Phone or email your local Service Canada office for information, as this is a federal issue.

Welcome to iboats, Sunbird.

Registering and Licencing are different. Pleasure craft must be licenced - registering is optional unless you use it commercially. From what I gather most pleasure craft are not registered in Canada - Check out the Transport Canada link below. They should also be able to help you navigate the paperwork requirements for ownership transfer. It may just be enough to have a bill of sale.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-menu-425.htm

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

Any craft with a motor 10 hp or larger must be registered.
Phone or email your local Service Canada office for information, as this is a federal issue.
NOPE.
Licence yes,register no.
Register up here is like documentation in the states,mostly used on commercial vessels or big ships.
To get a licence you have to,prove the boats yours,fill out the application and have some goverment I.D.
Once you get your licence be prepared to get a little letter in the mail about paying taxes.
It might even be in a few years but they will send it.

Just thought I'd add,that licenseing is no cost....free.

Last edited:

Shawnee

Cadet
Re: Registration question HELP!!!!! Canadian side

Hey Sunbird

I think Registering and Licensing are used interchangeably by most of us. As I look at my paperwork, it all refers to a "Pleasure Craft License" so not sure what "registration" is then as I thought the numbers on the side of the hull were registration numbers.

I think Pootnic summed it up. Find the document below.

One other thing I almost did....the "Pleasure craft License" (I am looking at mine now) gets mailed to New Brunswick, I believe and is free....but the Small Vessel license is $250, requires a little more paperwork and gets mailed to Toronto (I had to re address my envelope) so look to see where you were planning on mailing it to.

My first app for Pleasure craft got mailed back to me quickly....because I forgot to supply a photocopy of my Drivers License...so read application process carefully. And the form accounts for no previous paperwork with options, ie abandoned, homebuilt, ....

To cut my babbling short, here is the link to the required Pleasure Craft form, providing you do not plan on using this craft for commercial or "non-recreational" as they put it..

It is a coloured pdf file so takes a little longer than expected to load but it works.

Good Luck

http://www.tc.gc.ca/wwwdocs/Forms/84-0172E_1007-04_E.pdf

Last edited: