• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • ALL iboats Forum Members and Guests:
    To show our appreciation for your participation in the Forums, we're offering an exclusive Forums-only discount good for an additional 5% off your iboats.com order for a limited time.
    To redeem, simply call our Customer Service Team at 800-914-1123 (Open M-F, 9am - 8pm Eastern Time) and mention the Forums 5% off discount. Offer excludes engines, trolling motors, and electronics.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

Hello,
    This is our first time with a built-in gas tank and I'm wondering what is the best way to store it for our long Maine winter: full, empty, or in between?? Thanks,
    John

Re: Winter storage: fuel tank full or empty??

I was always taught to filler up...less condensation that way. Make sure you put Stabil or Seafoam in the gas to keep it fresh. Ensure it's in your whole fuel system. Opinions on this will vary, trust me, but that's how I've always done it with no problems.

See you on the lake

Joe

Comment

Fill it up an use stabil in the fuel the run your engine just long enough to run the fuel-stabil mix through your fuel pump and fuel lines.

Comment

Empty that way you start off with fresh fuel next time.
        Do you get condensation in your car fuel tank if it's not full?
        Opinions on this will vary, trust me, but that's how I've always done it with no problems.
        Popcorn anyone?

Comment

no easier way to start a holy war than 'empty or full gastank'!

In all honesty neither method is more right than the other. I personally get it as low as possible. Even with stabil, gas can go bad. The less that is the tank, the better, as I can just mix in new stuff in the spring.

I CAN say from years of experience, snowmobile gas tanks are absolutely always empty. Because they are stored during the summer, the reactions that happen to cause gas to go bad are sped up. Even with stabil, the stuff left in the tank by the next winter is generally bad. Carbs are usually removed and cleaned yearly on snowmobiles. Boats aren't as affected because of temperatures during storage.

Comment

here we go.....full......the condensation in the tank will collect.....i have heard the myth that tanks will not get water in them thru condensation.....but its not true....just ask a pilot. they actually have a tool for checking if there is condensation in the fuel tanks. ....and yes....water does get in there.

dont forget the stabil
            The Hull Extension Thread
            great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
            November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Originally posted by oops! View Post
              just ask a pilot. they actually have a tool for checking if there is condensation in the fuel tanks.
              You think a pilot would actually use it??? they never do... they dont want to get all smelly
              Toy - 2001 Glastron GX185, 4.3 Alpha One
              Tow rig - 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Quick, someone call Mythbusters!

Comment

I'm staying out of this one. Been there done that. This is one step short of starting an ethanol debate.
                  Sometimes it's more important to be human, than to have good taste. ~Brecht

Comment

yep store it full OR empty..... either will work..... half full is begging for condensation tho

An empty tank will get condensation in it when temps fall but it will just evaporate when they rise..... the partial tank tho traps the condensation under the gas and keeps it from evaporating..... thus it builds up
                    Kevin

But, where are the reevets?
                    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                    sigpic

Comment

i store my sleds full, and start them monthly, never had a problem. only cleaned the carbs once in 8k miles (4 seasons) and they werent dirty.............boats with an inboard tank i also store full, stabilized, never had an issue.
                      ive had a tougher time starting a sled that was left dry all summer then one left full. never had a fuel issue.

Comment

I leave mine full, in my mind it is better than leaving more space for moisture/condensation to accumulate. I do try and get it really full so there is very little room for condensation. Stabil or Seafoam as already mentioned. Plus gas next year will probably be more expensive!

Chris Craft 254 Seahawk
                        Visit my refurbish/upgrade project here.
                        http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=483913

Comment

What ever is in it at the end of the season is how it is stored, lawn mower, snow blower, boat , powersaw, whatever, I never use stabilizer and have had no problems, been doing it this way for over 40 years.
                          motorsport is the most efficient method known to man of turning money into noise

Comment

I've always stored everything full, with Seafoam added. Maybe right, maybe wrong - works for me.
                            Jon Hunter
                            Marion, NY

2006 Procraft 200 Combo with Merc 200 Opti
                            2007 Homemade Duck Boat with Merc 39

Comment

Originally posted by 90stingray View Post
                              You think a pilot would actually use it??? they never do... they dont want to get all smelly
                              I'm a Commercial pilot, been flying for a living for years and I check the fuel tanks for water before the first flight of the day and after each fuel stop. Yes, water DOES get into the fuel tanks through condensation......this is a fact and not really a debatable topic....it happens and will continue to happen.

With that said, the ethanol based fuels do break down sooner than the "real gas" did prior to the introduction of ethanol. At one time I stored my fuel tanks full of fuel....however I've changed my practices since the introduction of ethanol....I now drain the tanks as low as I can get them and then put in some seafoam / stabil and call it good.

Comment

Working...
                              X