Tempo 6 Gal Gas Tank Question

jbjuice

Recruit
Probably an easy question:

I have a Tempo 6 gallon gas tank for my 16' Lowe. When I unhook the tank from the motor, it leaks out the spout (and continues to even after setting a while). Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a bad tank? Is to much pressure built up? I unscrewed the cap and let the air out of the tank.

Thanks for your help

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tempo 6 Gal Gas Tank Question

HEY jbjuice,It sounds like vent hole is stoped up on your gas cap

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You have to leave the vent open.

jbjuice

Recruit

Thanks! I thought I left the cap completely off, but I guess not. So that I understand, even if I release the pressure, if I put the cap back on (and its clogged), it will build pressure within the can and start leaking out the spout again?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

What do you mean by "spout"? The threads where the the fuel line fitting connects to the tank? Is it leaking between the plastic threads and the fitting?

Bondo

Staff member

When I unhook the tank from the motor, it leaks out the spout (and continues to even after setting a while).

Ayuh,... Spout,..?? Do ya mean the motor connector,..??

If so, it sounds like a damaged O-ring in the connector...

jbjuice

Recruit

The metal can has a plug in adaptor for the hose/fuel pump and that's where gas is seeping out. This is my first boat that didn't have a built in tank, so I may not be using the right terminology. I did go out and look at the can and there is no vent hole in the gas cap...whereas my second tank does have one. That is probably the issue.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Metal cans are self venting. There is a pin on the male connector (on the tank) that closes the fitting when the line is removed. The fitting on your can is defective. Maybe just needs cleaning. To solve the problem, don't disconnect the line any more. If you ned to disconnect for some reason, disconnect the motor end.