1971 Tahiti ski boat

Joey71

Recruit
I just traded some labor for this schuster Tahiti ski boat. Its a 4 cylinder and runs good. Its an I/O 140. I launched it this week and noticed it won't steer. What can I do to fix this problem. Everything else is fine on the boat.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1971 Tahiti ski boat

Well sounds like a steering cable issue. Or it could be in the steering box. Does the wheel turn free or is it locked up? Will the outdrive move left and right or is it locked in place?

Joey71

Recruit

Well sounds like a steering cable issue. Or it could be in the steering box. Does the wheel turn free or is it locked up? Will the outdrive move left and right or is it locked in place?

The wheel is locked and so is the outdrive. I tried moving it back and forth. It moved maybe 1/2".

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

Rusted cable? Unhook the cable from the outdrive and see if one of them moves by itself.

LK

Joey71

Recruit

Rusted cable? Unhook the cable from the outdrive and see if one of them moves by itself.

LK

I did that. it was totally rusted i tried loosing it with some wd40. no luck. i have been looking on line for a replacement. i just dont know which one to choose. Its the original ride glide 11. any ideas on what i can replace with??

Joey

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I did that. it was totally rusted i tried loosing it with some wd40. no luck. i have been looking on line for a replacement. i just dont know which one to choose. Its the original ride glide 11. any ideas on what i can replace with??

Joey

Should be able to find something at Teleflex Marine that will work with that boat.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

There's a great post in the engine FAQ forum on replacing a marine steering system.

Joey71

Recruit

Should be able to find something at Teleflex Marine that will work with that boat.

Thanks, I was able to take the cable off and it was rusted. I was able to free it up with some break free. I was also able to clean it very well and spin it with a drill. I lubed it all up and it works fine. Now the engine wont stay running....... ARGGGGG. It seems like as soon as I think i might be able to take it out something else happens. Does the boat need to be level to keep the gas flowing into the fuel pump. Pump is new and so filter...Any ideas???????????

oops!

Supreme Mariner

no it doesnt.......does fuel get to the pump?......if its intermettent.......pull the feed tube in the gas tank.....it may have a hole in it.....causing it to suck air whenthe tank is low.

Joey71

Recruit

no it doesnt.......does fuel get to the pump?......if its intermettent.......pull the feed tube in the gas tank.....it may have a hole in it.....causing it to suck air whenthe tank is low.

I replaced all the hose from the tank to fuel pump. Replaced fuel filter too. Got it running. It idles fine but when I put a load on it, it stalls out. Don't quite know how the throttle works. It's seems simple but it has a black lever next to the forward and reverse handle. It seems like the black lever is actually the throttle? Let me know what you think. If not I'll go somewhere local to have it looked at?