• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

1971 Tahiti ski boat

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1971 Tahiti ski boat

I just traded some labor for this schuster Tahiti ski boat. Its a 4 cylinder and runs good. Its an I/O 140. I launched it this week and noticed it won't steer. What can I do to fix this problem. Everything else is fine on the boat.

Re: 1971 Tahiti ski boat

Well sounds like a steering cable issue. Or it could be in the steering box. Does the wheel turn free or is it locked up? Will the outdrive move left and right or is it locked in place?
    2008 Tahoe Q7i 5.0L MPI Mercruiser/Alpha One Gen II Drive
    14.25 x 17 Michigan "Apollo" 3 blade Stainless (From iboats store)

Comment

Originally posted by spdracr39 View Post
      Well sounds like a steering cable issue. Or it could be in the steering box. Does the wheel turn free or is it locked up? Will the outdrive move left and right or is it locked in place?
      The wheel is locked and so is the outdrive. I tried moving it back and forth. It moved maybe 1/2".

Comment

Rusted cable? Unhook the cable from the outdrive and see if one of them moves by itself.

LK

1997 Sea Ray Sundancer 250 5.7EFI / BIII

Comment

Originally posted by Alwhite00 View Post
          Rusted cable? Unhook the cable from the outdrive and see if one of them moves by itself.

LK
          I did that. it was totally rusted i tried loosing it with some wd40. no luck. i have been looking on line for a replacement. i just dont know which one to choose. Its the original ride glide 11. any ideas on what i can replace with??

Joey

Comment

Originally posted by Joey71 View Post
            I did that. it was totally rusted i tried loosing it with some wd40. no luck. i have been looking on line for a replacement. i just dont know which one to choose. Its the original ride glide 11. any ideas on what i can replace with??

Joey
            Should be able to find something at Teleflex Marine that will work with that boat.

Comment

There's a great post in the engine FAQ forum on replacing a marine steering system.
              Zak

Boat
              Manatee Mystery boat Paint job soon to be in progress
              Engine
              '71 Chrysler 70 HP Repower coming soon
              Tow Truck
              '03 4Runner limited V8

Over-engineering only means that there may be a simplier way to do it. Not that the outome has fallen short of the objective!

Comment

Originally posted by MTboatguy View Post
                Should be able to find something at Teleflex Marine that will work with that boat.
                Thanks, I was able to take the cable off and it was rusted. I was able to free it up with some break free. I was also able to clean it very well and spin it with a drill. I lubed it all up and it works fine. Now the engine wont stay running....... ARGGGGG. It seems like as soon as I think i might be able to take it out something else happens. Does the boat need to be level to keep the gas flowing into the fuel pump. Pump is new and so filter...Any ideas???????????

Comment

no it doesnt.......does fuel get to the pump?......if its intermettent.......pull the feed tube in the gas tank.....it may have a hole in it.....causing it to suck air whenthe tank is low.
                  The Hull Extension Thread
                  great info on all aspects on boat building with detailed information.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=234392

IN MEMORY OF Our friend SpinnerBait_Nut LESTER WRIGHT July 31, 1953 - Nov 26, 2008 RIP

IN MEMORY OF Our friend Tashasdaddy Robert (bob) Griffis. October 27, 1948
                  November 29 2010 RIP

Comment

Originally posted by oops! View Post
                    no it doesnt.......does fuel get to the pump?......if its intermettent.......pull the feed tube in the gas tank.....it may have a hole in it.....causing it to suck air whenthe tank is low.
                    I replaced all the hose from the tank to fuel pump. Replaced fuel filter too. Got it running. It idles fine but when I put a load on it, it stalls out. Don't quite know how the throttle works. It's seems simple but it has a black lever next to the forward and reverse handle. It seems like the black lever is actually the throttle? Let me know what you think. If not I'll go somewhere local to have it looked at?

Comment

Working...
                    X