Roll-on rubberized bed liner for boat deck for water proofing?

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just read on another post where a guy used roll on bedliner to waterproof his deck after replacing with marine wood.. Sounds like a decent idea. Anyone else done this? what do the rest of you guys think opposed to fiberglassing?

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: Roll-on rubberized bed liner for boat deck for water proofing?

When it gets wet, it is like an ice rink! :eek:

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But will it be a good waterproofer to lay carpet over?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe, maybe not.

The cheap roll on stuff tends to separate as it dries, so you end up with lots of rubber clump in areas, but areas where it thins out to nearly nothing. Plus, it cannot handle much UV before it gets kinda dry and crispy.

That said, I used it on my subwoofer box in my boat, but it is under the helm area on my boat, and not exposed to sunlight.

If you are putting carpet over it, it should be fine, just put it on in two separate layers so the second layer can settle into the thinned out areas.

LX Kid

Ensign

Why not use regular textured deck paint? They are probably around the same cost to apply. I had kicked your idea around and decided to go with Kiwigrip. When the weather cools off a little more I'm going to do mine. Here's a clip demonstating that product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB9QoHeUHTY&feature=related

chriscraft254

Commander

Kiwi grip has to have gelcoat or paint under it. It is not a sealer like epoxy paint or gel coat/fiberglass. I installed it on my M&D boat, it sucks to clean and will grab all the dirt you have on your feet.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

In regard to bedliner-

I have relatives that have a plywood wheelchair ramp attached to their house that is coated with Herculiner. It has been that way for many years (about 10 years I'd say) and they have not experienced any of the problems mentioned. It has enough texture that it is not slippery when wet. It is exposed 365 days a year in southeast Wisconsin, has no clumps or thin spots, and is does not appear to be deteriorating due to UV or anything else. Herculiner ain't cheap though.

I myself coated the deck of my boat with cheaper bedliner (rustoleum in a gallon can). I did this over CSM fiberglass as an extra precaution in case there were pinholes. This product goes on much thinner than the herculiner and has nowhere near the texture. When wet I believe it would be very slippery. It would probably require at least 4 coats to seal bare plywood and I don't know if I'd trust it for that. I put carpet over mine so I didn't care if it was slippery. Same goes for the Dupli-color bedliner that I have used for other stuff.

If you did decide to use bedliner I would say you need to use one of the more expensive products like herculiner. You definitely get what you pay for in this case.

LX Kid

Ensign

Kiwi grip has to have gelcoat or paint under it. It is not a sealer like epoxy paint or gel coat/fiberglass. I installed it on my M&D boat, it sucks to clean and will grab all the dirt you have on your feet.

Do you have any experience with other types of coatings? I would like to use something that will clean easy. Non slip type coatings may be a problem in the ease of cleaning.

jones56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like epoxy paint is what I may use now.. im just trying to find a cheaper and equal effective way to waterproof may deck ,stringers and bilge area

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like epoxy paint is what I may use now.. im just trying to find a cheaper and equal effective way to waterproof may deck ,stringers and bilge area

Epoxy paint or resin with marine vinyl installed over it will be extremely waterproof and non slip as well... and it'll look good too!

SDSeville

Lieutenant

Don't waterproof your stringers with bedliner or epoxy paint. It is iffy at best for your deck, but certainly not for stringers. Your stringers need to be covered in resin, mat, and glass for proper strength and seal. It is cheaper and easier than you think.
Check out the restoration forum.