Short amount of anchor chain?

Camel413

Cadet
Hello, I had a quick question. On my boat I have an anchor winch and this will only allow me to use a very short amount of chain with my anchor, maybe only 12-18". Is it even worth it to put that small of an amount of chain in there? Or should I just skip the chain all together?

Camel413

Cadet
Re: Short amount of anchor chain?

Ok, next question since its a short length what size chain would be best to get?

foodfisher

Captain

Since the weight is what's needed to keep the anchor layed over, I'd say the heaviest that can still be attached.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I have the same problem. All I have is about 12 inches of chain. I think that with a limited amount of chain, anchor selection becomes more important. While a typical Danforth style works in most conditions, they really need the chain to hold well because of the light weight.
I went with a 16lb claw anchor that has enough weight to really dig in to the sand and mud bottoms that I am typically anchored in.

My other thought was to get about 10' of chain that I could keep in my anchor locker and put heavy duty carabiner clips on it so that I could easily clip the extra chain in when I need it.

But other than one time when I got hit with a 60+mph wind gust with another large cruiser rafted to me, I have yet to have the claw anchor drag. So I'm not sure the extra chain would really be worth the hassle.

Danforth
danforth.jpg

Claw
claw.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant

Are you using a thimble on the anchor line and a shackle to attach the thimble on the anchor line to the chain? Most (all that I know of) windlasses don't handle a shackle. Most will handle a combination of anchor line and chain properly sized for the windlass. However, you need to splice the anchor line directly to the chain. Most chandleries will sell you a spliced chain and anchor line and some will splice it for you for a fee. This should allow the windlass to take the anchor and as much chain as you want to run.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, what Shrew has said. You can make your own rope/chain splice, as well. Look up eyesplice and figure out how to tie it.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Are you using a thimble on the anchor line and a shackle to attach the thimble on the anchor line to the chain? Most (all that I know of) windlasses don't handle a shackle. Most will handle a combination of anchor line and chain properly sized for the windlass. However, you need to splice the anchor line directly to the chain. Most chandleries will sell you a spliced chain and anchor line and some will splice it for you for a fee. This should allow the windlass to take the anchor and as much chain as you want to run.

Yes, what Shrew has said. You can make your own rope/chain splice, as well. Look up eyesplice and figure out how to tie it.
Thanks for the advise. Yes, I'm using a shackle and thimble.

I'll have to check the owner's manual for my windlass again, but I'm certain it said that I can only run triple strand rode through the windlass and have chain between the windlass and the anchor.

I'm lucky that the previous owner was a bit of a pack rat and I have a whole box full of manuals for everything on the boat.