Vinyl seat cleaner

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got a great boat, but keeping the off-white seats clean is a pain. Anyone have a cleaner they like? (Any to stay away from, or are they all about the same?)

glastron09

Cadet
Re: Vinyl seat cleaner

i use simple green with a majic eraser , cleans my white interior

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

A lot of people swear by Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They worked great for me on hull/fiberglass/gelcoat, but I've never had any luck with them on white vinyl seats. I own an upholstery shop and I swear by Clorox Clean-Up. It works absolutely great on vinyl and is less than 2% bleach, so it doesn't harm materials or destroy threads. Use a few different cleaners and see what works for your issues. Be careful with the simple green, it can stain white fabrics & vinyls, depending on their composition.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use magic erasers and spray nine at start of season to get the winter junk off. I keep boat under an open carport without any other cover so dust/pollen/etc. settles on seats. I tried covering with a "breathable" boat cover once and that trapped moisture and caused lots of milder. After first cleaning, I use Mequier's (sp?) Marine Vinyl cleaner and protector after every trip or two. I see you are in Atlanta. Where will you be boating? The lakes south of Atlanta can leave a lot of red mud residue if you spend time climbing in/out anywhere near shore. First time we took our previous boat (Glastron GX205) camping at West Point Lake in LaGrange we didn't know what to expect and spent 6 hours cleaning after we got home! After that, we are much more careful loading/unloading at camp site.

Ray1958

Cadet

I use Wesley's Whitewall Bleach for all vinyl and plastics, does a great job with little physical effort..

Ray

Jeep Man

Commander

My seats are off white as well. Regular marine upholstery cleaner works well. If I have a lot of mildew stain from storage, then I'll use Magic Eraser followed up with a damp cloth with water to clean off any residue. Protectant will keep the vinyl in good condition.

golf101

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use magic erasers and spray nine at start of season to get the winter junk off. I keep boat under an open carport without any other cover so dust/pollen/etc. settles on seats. I tried covering with a "breathable" boat cover once and that trapped moisture and caused lots of milder. After first cleaning, I use Mequier's (sp?) Marine Vinyl cleaner and protector after every trip or two. I see you are in Atlanta. Where will you be boating? The lakes south of Atlanta can leave a lot of red mud residue if you spend time climbing in/out anywhere near shore. First time we took our previous boat (Glastron GX205) camping at West Point Lake in LaGrange we didn't know what to expect and spent 6 hours cleaning after we got home! After that, we are much more careful loading/unloading at camp site.

I am on Lake Blue Ridge. We get a little red clay, but mostly just dirt with lots of people and dogs getting on and off. Tired of scrubbing to get dirt off, so looking for something that will lift it off more easily.

badkins50

We took all the seats and trim out of the boat and used soft scrub with bleach and a stiff brush. Then rinsed, wiped dry, used some meguires protecting. Good luck.

blifsey

You are in some very nice boating country! Have been to Lake Nottely a few times and loved the area! Once you get seats nice and clean, the Mequire's makes cleanup easier if applied just before going out. It puts kind of a waxy type coating. When we're camping, I carry a bottle and several microfiber rags with me. In morning while everyone is getting ready to go out on lake, I'll give the seats a quick wipe down. Then, in evening when we are down boating, I'll hit the interior again. I also keep a large cup on board and if somebody tracks in lots of mud/dirt will scoop up some lake water to rinse it off using my hand or a rag to wipe over it. The biggest trick I've found is to not let the mud dry!

We had several of my daughter's friends out one weekend so I laid my 2 square throw cushions in seats for them to step on while boarding. I guess they thought the throw cushions were very expensive because several of them stepped over them to step on seat! Had to explain they were there to keep drit from getting on seat :)