Are Sunbird boats any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer
I found a nice-looking 1996 Sunbird Neptune 201 for sale on the internet a few hours away from my house. I have not made the drive to go check this boat out yet, but have never heard of them. Does anyone know if they are well-built boats? It has a 175 hp Johnson Ocean Runner on it, and supposedly has only about 100 hours on it and was garage-kept. My main purpose would be to use it for trolling on Lake Michigan (would need to add a kicker, of course). I know all fiberglass boats are not created equally, and I'm looking for a quality rig. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Are Sunbird boats any good?

i own a 1997 sunbird 200 cc powered by a 1998 johnson 150hp. boat was bought by the previous owner in '98, so it's going into it's 6th season. i like the boat, especially the price i paid. nothing sticks out as far as bad, but it is a quality boat. the electrical is a bit messy, the hatches have become loose, thru-hulls are plastic. but nothing i haven't been able to easily correct. boat is light, but runs surprisingly well in chop. i have a custom hardtop on it, which adds some weight. fully loaded with fuel and gear, i hit 42 mph. if you have any specific questions, let me know.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Mattttt25,<br />Thanks for the reply. So do you know if Sunbird is still even making boats? Doesn't sound like you have had any problems with the glass (I just don't want to end up with a "Bayliner"-quality boat!). Where do you run this boat mainly?

boiler47

Recruit

We own a 1997 201 Neptune and have enjoyed it. Ours has a 150hp Johnson ocean runner on it. We bought the boat new in 97 and so far have not had any major problems with it. I did have to replace the thru hole fitting that drains the livewell because it broke(plastic). Since this is the only boat we have owned I don't have anything else to compare the boat to. The boat is mainly set up for fishing has snap in cushions. We have kind of got the bug this year and started looking a deck boats. My wife would like something with a few more creature comforts such as a porta potti head and more built in cushions. I use the boat on a fresh water lake and in Galveston bay. Hope this helps you.

Bondo

Staff member

(I just don't want to end up with a "Bayliner"-quality boat!).
Yep,<br />They're Both, to put it Politely.....<br /> Entry Level Boats................

Bondo

Staff member

There.....................<br />I Did It.....................<br />I had the Perfect Opportunity.................<br />And,<br />I DIDN'T Bash the Bilgeliners ................. :D <br /><br />I Also just Cracked the 2000 post mark........

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

You didn't need to with me, Bondo! I already have my opinions about those things. They are only opinions based on observations though, as I've never OWNED one myself.

mattttt25

Commander

bondo makes it sound like there is something wrong with entry level boats. like they are crap that can't get you out on the water. if that's a fact, the majority of the boating world is in error. sorry if i chose to spend my money elsewhere this time.<br /><br />my sunbird may not have the fit and finish of a gradywhite, robalo, intrepid, contender, or regulator. but it didn't cost me an arm and leg either. it performs it's function quite well. during the season i boat the chesapeake bay approx 3 times a week. i cruise and fish. the boat stays in the water all season.<br /><br />pros- i like the layout of the boat. nice size, self draining fish boxes up front with the standard cooler seat. i love the hardtop (add-on), and the console has adequate storage, with all the gauges i need. the cushion package is still in good shape. although i don't use it, the integrated baitwell works well. as i stated before, the boat runs well in chop. it is also a dry boat in most conditions, much better than any bowrider or deckboat i've been on. no rot or hull problems that i can detect.<br /><br />negatives- wiring is messy. although everything works, i had a hard time tracing lines when i made some upgrades to my electronics. i've had a light or two go out due to corroded connections, but they were easy fixes. wish the boat ran better in the real rough stuff, but i don't think many 20' cc do much better.<br /><br />they are my personal opinions based on a boat i own. good luck-

rockvillage

Recruit

I am looking at a 1998 Sunbird Neptune Center Console 23' with a 2000 200hp Evinrude. It comes with a Long roller trailer in execellent condition, all electronics, a potty in the console. Live bait well, built in cooler all the regular stuff, ancor fire extingusher, life jackets, T-bag, T-top for 13,500. I have been looking for a boat for Cape cod bay and on good days to go farther. I go on a sea trial on Sunday. I cant sleep or shut my mind off, dont want to make a mistake buying this boat, for the $ I cant seem to find anything else in this class.
Does this seem fair for what I have been reading is an entry level boat? I have a 10k budjet would love a Sea Craft of other big name boat but just a family guy trying to get out on the water. Any comments, I have been up all night thinking.

Thanks,

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

PLEASE start your own post and not drag up a post from years ago!

I will lock this one up and you can start a new one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.