1950s Valco. Anyone ever see one like this?

spamman450

Cadet
Hi everybody, i brought home this Valco aluminum boat last week. Its cleaning up really nice so far. I am trying to do some research on it but so far little is coming up. Anybody ever see one like it? Is it worth anything? Its definitely a funky little boat and i plan on keeping it. Also do you think the 1948 8 hp elgin hanging on the back will power it ok? Any thoughts on it?

boat33.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1950s Valco. Anyone ever see one like this?

That's a neat little boat. 8hp may be a bit underpowered but you will just have to try it and see what you think.

spamman450

Cadet

Thanks! I am going to try and find a 25-30 hp motor in the near future.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

So much good information here, I would read up in the restoration section of iboats, and you should get some information from the people who are into the old stuff. I really enjoy these old ones but dont know anything about your boat.
I think the 8 hp will be quite underpowered, but the motor looks very cool, dont forget some of the older ones can be very colectable, others not so much.
Check for max HP on any old literature you may find on the boat. If it is 50's I dont think you will have this info on any plate on the boat. It is on my 1961 Lone Star, really cool boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that's a really cool little boat, and now an antique. I think you should first decide, like you would with a car that old, if it's going to be a "daily driver" or a "restored classic" or in between.
Here's my suggestion--sort of a blend: since you have a classic motor, and you may find it went with the boat originally, remove it but keep it for times you want to "show" the whole classic rig. Then get a newer, stronger, more reliable but less valuable motor for use. Because unlike old cars, when old motors give you problems, the problem is often not as simple as pulling over and calling AAA. Maybe look for a mid-70's merc since they have a classic look to them.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Very cool! Reminds me of an old 14' Starcraft we used to have in the family. But ours didn't have that killer transom design.

Ya if that old motor runs I would fog it & drench it with crc, put it in a bag and hide it in a corner of the garage.

Believe the Starcraft ended up with a new at the time ('68 or '69'?) 35 Johnson twin c/o my Dads buddy Bob Hewes.

Good luck with the Valco! That's a neat boat.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Might wanna check if the deck is fiberglass? If'n it is then that's a very very cool old boat.

Attachments

• Valcoa57001.jpg
    Valcoa57001.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2

spamman450

Cadet

Thanks for that old article V153, the boat is indeed a royal 57 14ft, and the deck is fiberglass! Here is a shot of the deck after cleaning up one side, and another of the interior. I plan on using this boat, but not beating on it. Its just too cool of an old boat. What size motor do you guys recommend? The ad says that the larger model takes a 30hp engine. Do you think a 20 hp would suffice? The old elgin on the back runs great, but has no transmission. I am gonna save it for a different project.
royal142.jpgroyal 14.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Too cool!!!! Man, lot of funky, neat-o boats showing up here lately. I think a 20hp would get it on plane with 1 or 2 people. You can always get a bigger motor later. I say strap on the 20 and get her on the water ASAP. Super cool find!

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Wow! That interior is bizarre. Looks like a Mels Diner. All that's missing is a chick in a mini-skirt on roller skates? Very cool.

I'd shoot for 25-30hp?

southkogs

Staff member

spamman, that is a great looking boat. I love the styling ... are you going to repaint it?

8HP is not going to push it too fast, though it might actually get on plane with just one or two people inside. We had a 14' open fishing boat that used to plane out with a '58 7.5 horse - 3 people in it. Yours will have a little more weight to it, but not that much. The 20 or 30 will certainly make the ride more fun. Home Cookin's idea of two motors is a good one - go with it if you can.

Can't wait to see more pictures of it.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you want to get a larger outboard then think about www.smalloutboards.com they have some restored antique outboards that would look great on your transom.

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is really cool, nice find!

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow the interior in that boat is pretty damn funky! It def. reminds me of an old school diner LOL. That's a good find for sure. I would find a nice vintage 25-30 HP outboard to throw on her. That'll make her move along nicely for sure. That site www.smalloutboards.com does indeed have some nice scores all the time. Their motors seem to always be on point unless noted in the description too. They currently have a 1956 Evinrude 30 HP that would look awesome on that boat. The colors seem to kind of match and everything.

vanight

Recruit
Actually, i think i may actually have one of the same make, model, and era. Not quite as fancy. i have a title for mine. it says hull number 8051524. 1958 Valco 13.3 lenght. The motor looks just as old. I am just starting with my adventure restoring or using this boat. Any info would be great!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
WELCOME to Iboats!

Please take a few minutes to read the rules..
One if them mentions not replying to old threads... Instead start a new one and if you want you can link the old one.