What kind of cleat is this?

kewpie79

Cadet
New guy here. I can't seem to find any cleats similar to this. what is it called, how do you tie it up and where can I get two more?

Attachments

• cleat.jpg
    cleat.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 0

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What kind of cleat is this?

Its not a cleat. Its a chock. A cleat secures the end of a rope. A chock guides a rope along the right path.

Hank496

Seaman

It is a Fair Lead.
You don't tie to it. An anchor rode (the rope), or dock line is run through it. It is constructed so that the line is placed into it at ninety degrees to the direction the line will lay when deployed. That means that the line can not pop out. It also means that the fair lead allows you to make the line change direction. Typically you see two of these things on the bow of the bow, and a traditional cleat in the center of the fore deck. An anchor rode would deploy parallel to the fore aft line enter the fairlead and then shoot across the deck.

kewpie79

Cadet

New to this. This is a 1959 fiberflite. This is all that was present on the boat when I bought it. No traditional cleat in the front or back.

Attachments

• boatfront.jpg
    boatfront.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From the looks of the fore deck (circled area) it looks like there was a cleat installed at that point, and the lines would be run through the chock to the dock.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

kewpie79

Cadet

the circled area was where the horn was, that I removed (it was missing the trumpet). So exactly how to I tie up to a dock?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

any way you can....use the handle....or the bow eye.....or....break down ....buy some cleats from a local marine store and install them with wooden backing plates behind the fiberglass.

if you want that restoration factory.....you will need to hunt down a showroom pic. and hunt for the cleats

V153

Lieutenant Commander

From the looks of the fore deck (circled area) it looks like there was a cleat installed at that point, and the lines would be run through the chock to the dock.

attachment.php
Agreed. Considering the placement of the chocks/fair leads the bow cleat would've, should've been near what you say was the horn location.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

To clarify for the OP, a 'chock' and a 'fairlead' are the same animal, and their function is as previously described. The term 'fairlead' is most commonly used in sailing, while you'll hear the term 'chock' most often in powerboating.

My .02

sasto

Captain

New guy here. I can't seem to find any cleats similar to this. what is it called, how do you tie it up and where can I get two more?

What is that hardware mounted at the bow?....topside?

kewpie79

Cadet

that would be the light and a little flag pole sticking up from it.

kewpie79

Cadet

59fiberflite.jpgThis is the only other pic I can find anywhere of a fiber-flite boat. It has the same chock set up and no cleats.

skargo

Banned

I have one cleat and 2 chocks on my boat, as seen here.

n554955651_6461650_4521062.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Although not the traditional "T" head cleat, the ones on your boat would work just fine if you threw a loop over either of them to tie off to the dock (inner holding area) or for that matter did a big loop threw both and tied of to the beach.

sasto

Captain

Although not the traditional "T" head cleat, the ones on your boat would work just fine if you threw a loop over either of them to tie off to the dock (inner holding area) or for that matter did a big loop threw both and tied of to the beach.

I've never seen this done (many things I've never seen) but that's a good idea, rbh.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I've never seen this done (many things I've never seen) but that's a good idea, rbh.

Yes definetly not as good as the "T" cleat, but the pic does show that there is a holding, MMMMM flap/wing??? for both fore and aft holding.

Only thing you would really have to watch out for is the wave action bouncing the loop out.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't think I'd trust a loop through the chocks.

Perhaps back in the day they tied the bow line to the handle, although then the line runs "backwards" to the chocks. Without a windshiled I might expect a cleat on the center of the dash, so you don't have to climb out on the deck.
I wonder if there was a cleat in there somewhere, or the horn or light was added and replaced the cleat (not a good idea IMO). I've seen bow lights that are supposed to act as chocks (also not a good idea) so maybe the horn or light/flag assembly served like a tow head.

sasto

Captain

Couriosity got to me. I found this. Is this the same boat?
lonestarrunabout.jpg

kewpie79

Cadet

no, I am in NM. This is what it looked like when I traded an old .22 rifle for the boat.

Attachments

• fiberflite1.jpg
    fiberflite1.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0