Damn Nauticus Trim Tabs will NOT work! Bump thread if needed!

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:facepalm: After buying 2 sets of Smart Tabs from Nauticus and having 3 different techs (work at local marinas) attempt to install them... I am screwed! I have a 1996 Sylvan V196 with the sundeck/swim platform that will only allow a maximum of 6" of clearance from the bottom of the hull to underside of the platform. The only way any of the 3 could make either set work was to put them 8" off the plug which really wouldn't be beneficial since the width of the trim tab would be "kissing" the outdrive (just another Craigslist/eBay ad coming). It looks like I will be getting the "dread" whale tail/fin... ANY SUGGESTIONS??? :facepalm:

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Damn Nauticus Trim Tabs will NOT work! Bump thread if needed!

i dpnt really understand the problem....can you post pics?.....

however....if the problem is that the tab hits the drive......cut the tab! a

you will need to shave both tabs.

many of the special bennett tabs....had fins on them.....if you dont want to cut them....fold them

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i dpnt really understand the problem....

Sounds like he doesn't have the vertical space on transom to mount the top of the actuators required distance above bottom of hull. Topic title seems to be bashing the tabs when issue is the boat transom configuration???

nlain

Commander

He should call Nauticus and talk to them, do not know if they could do anything to help or not, should at least give them a chance. Here is the phone number. 800-233-0194

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Topic title seems to be bashing the tabs when issue is the boat transom configuration???

Yup, it seems his sundeck swim platform is more important than the trim tabs.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Title should probably read damn insert type of boat here doesnt have enough room to mount trim tabs. Really doesnt matter the brand of tabs. Your title definately suggests there is a problem with the tabs, and clearly the problem is with your boat not having enough room to mount them. Would be like me saying this damn O'brien life vest doesnt work!! when I simply have no room in the boat to store it.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

rhillman75;

I was alerted to this post by nlain (thanks) and would like to help if possible. I am assuming that you did not contact us (Nauticus) when you first ran into the problem. I am also assuming that none of the three "techs" contacted us either. What is even more confusing is why you would buy two sets of Smart Tabs and not return one set for credit?

I understand your frustration, however much of this could be eliminated if you contacted us directly.

This issue is not new and as some of the fellows here have stated there may not be enough room to mount tabs, but if you send pictures and call us we can at least make the proper determination.

Please Call 800-233-0194

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yup, it seems his sundeck swim platform is more important than the trim tabs.

wonder if the sundeck can be relocated up higher on the transom and just use a longer ladder?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

This issue is not new and as some of the fellows here have stated there may not be enough room to mount tabs, but if you send pictures and call us we can at least make the proper determination.

ok.....now understanding the problem correctly (i think) :confused:

i am gusseing his boat has pods that are curved so the transom is not flat.....i have installed bennets on a few boats with this issue.....however....there was allways a way.

can you please post pics of some of the solutions your company has come up with?

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Do get ahold of them. I think that they will be able to help you out a lot and that you will be pleased with the results. I haven't seen a pic of your transom, but my last boat had the same type of transom as what you described with a pod coming from the transom up to the built in swim platform on both side of the motor.

If you check out the installations instructions on the website, you will find picture showing that you can attach to these areas of the boat if you do not have enough vertical room. Or you can adjust the standard tabs to lessen the vertical height needed. Give them a call, they are good people and will be able to help.

I was also surprised by the thread title as I haven't heard of someone that didn't like their tabs yet.

Good luck!

rhillman75

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well to correct my posts as I should... it's not that the trim tabs will not work... it is the fact that that the ONLY way to get them to work with the shocks installed at their "needed" angle, requires them to be almost at 8" inches fom the drain plug. I by no means ever intended to insult Nauticus. This is a boat issue with the way it was designed. I first tried the SX series and I believe they were the 60's and the problem with those was that no matter where I put them... the shock was to tall in the upper mounting location unless they were setting the tab right by the drive. I tired the stainless set up and the techs noticed that they shock upper holders would have had to been monted in an awkward angle on the flat part of the swim platform and they advised that it would "bind!" Sorry for the confusion! i did talk to greg at Nauticus and sent him pictures but honestly... it's hard to described how something looks to the other person when trying to solve an issue. I know their product is HIGHLY rated... but on certain boat design platforms they may not work! I am going to attempt to create a visual. Where the outdrive upper housing mounts to the hull (the mount) I have about 6 inches on either side and where it goes up to the bottom of the swim platofrm I have 6 inches on top (this is the cut out as I call it). After those 6 inches on either side it comes out away from the hull (swim platform part) about 18 inches then curves up about 70 degrees for another 8 inches then levels out and goes in about 16 inches. From the bottom of the fiberglass factory swim platform to to the bottom of the boat your are looking at about 8 inches if you are at 6 inches (either side) of the drain plug which makes any trim tab, even if cut down come within 6 inches of the lower unit! I meant DAMN by saying I seriously WANTED these trim tabs INSTALLED!