1964 Evinrude Sport 16

Fellow Boating Enthusiasts,

I recently acquired, (came into?), a 1964 Evinrude Sport 16' motor boat. To be honest, my boating experience does not go back quite that far and I feel like a fish out of water dealing with this boat. I hope to find someone on this forum that would have a better idea as to what it is worth.

A little bit of information about the boat (I apologize for the bullet points, but it makes it easier to read):
- The boat is in Excellent shape. It was kept in a garage and maintained by a local mechanic (former Evinrude Tech). It has less than 50 hours of time on the water (family is the original owner) and does not have any noticeable sun, water, or even transport damage to the hull.

-The boat is entirely original. 1964 Evinrude 75 HP V4 2 stroke motor (replaced cooling pump, a few seals (thanks mice), and spark plugs this summer). The electronics were replaced last year after I discovered that mice chewed through the throttle, ignition, and (F/R) lines. The motor / components are in perfect working order and speed, compass, and battery gauge still work. It runs surprisingly well according to the mechanic (although it is said you could run another boat off of the exhaust from the engine).

- The Hull is entirely intact and does not have any repair work (never required any). Original seats, steering wheel, deck, paint, etc. This boat is 100% the same boat purchased 47 years ago.

- Original Trailer, with no noticeable marks or damage from loading/unloading.

We were considering keeping the boat as a "once-a-summer" treat, but the mechanic commented that it could have value to a collector. That is why I am turning to yall. So please, someone out there, if you have any idea what this boat is worth let me know. I can answer most questions and want to ensure that taking the boat out on the water as nothing more than a boating enthusiast is not a bad life choice. I guess what I am getting at is that I do not have enough time to use the boat as often as it should be used, so if it is worth something to someone I am not against parting with it. Thank you for your time!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1964 Evinrude Sport 16

First of all, go over to fiberglassics.com and go on their forums. They can probably answer your questions because undoubtedly there are a few over their that own the same boat. Also google "Antique Boats America" - they might have one on their site for sale.

Value is whatever you and the purchaser can agree on. If you find a nut collector that fancies that brand, you'll make out real well. Also, value depends on where you live. For example, there is a regional boat builder in my city that is long out of business - 50 year old boats are sought after, but if you had one in California where they never saw one before you probably couldn't give it away.

I belong to several antique / classic boat groups and many of us only take our pride and joy out once or twice a year. Usually for the annual boat show as well. So, nothing wrong with doing that if that's what you want. Just be sure to stabilize the gas for a year's layup and do the proper maintenance.

If you don't have a garage to store it covered and out of the elements, maybe you should just sell it. Its a prize now and will stay in pristine condition if you treat it right. It would be a shame to let it deteriorate after all these years.

A buddy of mine located a 1957 runabout with only 2 hours running time on it. It was only run once before the owner died and the widow just wouldn't sell it. He only paid $3000 (he stole it), which is probably double what it cost new. My 1952 cost about $900 new and its currently appraised at $10k.

Its a down market now and I would guess that fiberglass is in lesser demand than wood. It might bring between $3k and $5k in upstate NY.

JimS123,

Thanks a bunch. I re-posted this to the fiberglassics.com message board to see if it would help get the ball rolling.

I am entirely fascinated by older boats and am glad to see that I'm not the only one. I do still have access to a garage and a reliable mechanic to winter/summerize it (what else do you need, right). Do you know of any antique/classics groups that operate in the Mid-West? I am definitely interested in perhaps starting a collection of older boats (also inherited a 1966 14' Alumacraft with original trailer).

It looks like you have quite the collection there, and I really appreciate the input!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The Antique & Classic Boat Society (ACBS) is a national organization that has many local chapters. Check our their web site for details and a list of local groups.

There are specialized Clubs for Lymans, Chris Crafts, Penn Yans and so forth. Just google a bit and if there is one for Evinrudes I'm sure you'll find it.

We go to and participate in the Clayton NY and Buffalo, NY antique boat shows every year. They are the #1 and I believe #3 largest in the country. I think Tahoe may be #2.

Its a lot of fun to putt around in the old classics. Of course, most of the people on these forums would not be satisfied because they have poor performance (spelled go too slow....LOL). But I grew up with a 35 HP Evinrude and it worked just fine for us for skiing and everything else. Even better if you have the provinence for the old girl. Original bill of sale, ownership and service records will add to the value.