Broke steering clamp!! Need help fast!

BonairII

Commander
I could kill myself right now... I turned my wheel too hard while trying to dock and broke the clamp that holds the line(under the dash). Can I rig up some repair? Possibly clamp it or something?
Can I buy the broken piece or am I stuck buying a whole new steering system?

158e0b25.jpg

98935c1d.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Broke hydraulic steering clamp!! Need help fast!

lets get you to where more people can see this to help you.

and i think you can buy that end from teleflex

BonairII

Commander

Anyone know what the broken part is called? I have no idea what to search for.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a picture of the broken part... Do some searches for hydraulic steering on the web, and you will come up with all kinds of diagrams and servicing info. Odds are you can figure out what part you need. Worst case scenario you may need a new helm pump... Hard to say without "seeing" what is broken.

Thanks...

BonairII

Commander

Didn't u see the pics I posted in my first post? :confused:

Not sure if it's considered a hydraulic helm or not. You can kind of see the "tube" in the pics.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, my bad...

The computers at work have a magical security screening system, so sometimes all attachments won't show while I'm here. I can't access YouTube either... :facepalm:

I'll check it out when I get back to the house.

I assumed it was hydraulic when you said "Broke hydraulic steering clamp!! Need help fast!"

There are a couple of different types of steering systems. Some are cable type systems, and some are hydraulic type systems.

If it's hydraulic, there is a small reservoir that holds hydraulic fluid and the wheel is attached to that. The action of turning the wheel sends the hydraulic fluid through tubes to the stern steering ram.

If it's cable steering, there will be evidence of the cables attached to the backside of the wheel inside the console, and the action of turning the wheel lengthens or shortens the cable, and this mechanical movement turns the stern steering ram.

Either way, you should be able to locate the part that is broken. A whole steering system is prohibitively expensive...

BonairII

Commander

OK...then it's must be hydraulic cause the motor is pushed by a ram clamped at the stern.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not hydraulic I don't think. Do a google search for rotary and then rack steering systems and seem if either look familiar. And entire new system from the wheel to the motor can be purchased for like $120 so this isn't a disaster.

BonairII

Commander

I believe it may be a rack system. The boat is 30 miles away so I can't take a pic right now. Behind the steering wheel(under the dash) is a metal tube that runs parallel with the dash and goes thru a hole in the steering mechanism. That tube is connected to the cable by the broken clamp.

The boat is a 1967 Glasspar Avalon and I think the steering is original to the boat.

Is it possible to have the clamp thing welded?

foodfisher

Captain

How about stainless steel hose clamps to hold the pieces together?

BonairII

Commander

The clamp is in 3 pieces. See the pic that shows 2 jagged edges...each side is a separate piece. I JB welded the pieces together before I left the boat in the water, but I doubt it'll be strong enough. I'll def give hose clamps a try before considering a whole new steering system(which I can't afford right now)

BonairII

Commander

Why do u like rotary better? Is it a simple install?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Why do u like rotary better? Is it a simple install?

I installed a brand new teleflex rack system in my last boat and a brand new uflex rotary system in my current boat. Both were easy to install, however, I found the rack to have just a tad more slop in it than the rotary. That's just my anecdotal experience though.

BonairII

Commander

Got my steering "fixed" today. Got under the dash and found out it's a rotary setup, i think. The "tube" behind the dash has a metal bar in it that has teeth. The steering gearmeshes with the gears on the "bar".

Ended up using JB Weld and a few HD hose clamps. So far, it seems to be working fine, but I'll always be leery of the "fix" so I'll be ordering a new steering system as soon as I know what I need.

ingalp01

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it's definitely a cable type steering system... NOT HYDRAULIC... The kits that ezmobee linked you to above will be a permanent fix for your problem. I know you've got it working now, but steering items are wear items, so get her "fixed" right and you won't have to worry about steering for a decade or more with regular maintenance...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The "tube" behind the dash has a metal bar in it that has teeth. The steering gearmeshes with the gears on the "bar".

That sounds like a rack to me. Doesn't matter much, the two systems are pretty much interchangeable unless your got some real space restrictions behind the dash.

BonairII

Commander

That sounds like a rack to me. Doesn't matter much, the two systems are pretty much interchangeable unless your got some real space restrictions behind the dash.

Your right it's a rack. No space restrictions behind the dash. I'm leaning toward a Uflex rotary, but I've got to do a bit more reading on the subject.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You won't beat the price on the one from that link I posted earlier (post 12). Even comes with a wheel!

BonairII

Commander

Am i going to need to buy another steering arm and bracket(attached to transom)?