anchor chains or not

tocostew

Cadet
I was wondering if putting chains on the anchor is a must. If so then I need to get them cause it seems like everytime I try and achor I drift. I have a 18' 2000 Aquatron. If I need them how long should they be and how big? thanks for any input..

pat8839

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: anchor chains or not

I have heard that a good rule of thumb is 1 ft of rope per ft of boat. With that being said, I have a 19 ft boat but have 10ft of chain. I know that the chain helps lay down your anchor so that it can "grab" the bottom.

The drifting may be a direct result as to the type of anchor and the bottom surface of the body of water you are on...

nlain

Commander

You need chain on the anchor, it helps hold the anchor down so it can grab whatever bottom you are anchoring in. Then you need plenty of line to be able to let out the proper amount to 7 to 1 scope, 7 feet line for every 1 foot up, bottom to where you tie off anchor line to boat. I have about 6 feet of chain on mine and have had no problems.

haulnazz15

Captain

6' of chain should be plenty. The chain absorbs the shock of the boat tugging on the anchor due to wind/waves. I would also the proper amount of scope in order to keep the anchor set, especially in soft bottoms. We have 100' foot of line on our anchor rode, and use 50' of it when anchoring in 10-15 foot of water. It's not quite 7 to 1 ratio, but water/wind conditions dictate what scope will be necessary in order to hold your position. If I'm in a still cove, I can drop a mushroom anchor on our jetski and be just fine. If I'm in an area with lots of wind and/or waves, the fluke anchor with enough rode out to provide higher scope is necessary.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

9ft of chain was the best thing I ever bought for my boat and my sanity.
I never have any trouble anchoring now. Just make sure you have enough scope so that the whole length of that chain can lie on the bottom.

Go get some chain my friend!

ckwizard

Cadet

I have the exact same boat and 6-feet of chain keeps me from drifting.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 26 ft boat, 8ft of chain. Works great.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

The more chain the better!! Going from 6' to 12' of chain made a huge difference.

tocostew

Cadet

thanks for all the replies guys, now what size do I need to get?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have a 37' boat and 275' of 5/16" chain. I wonder if that's enough...:rolleyes:

sasto

Captain

Lets not forget the chain also aids in avoiding line chafing while lying on the bottom around debris...aka rocks.

I hope you never need more than that, Fireman. 250' is common with most boatbuilders....as I'm sure you know!

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Lets not forget the chain also aids in avoiding line chafing while lying on the bottom around debris...aka rocks.

I hope you never need more than that, Fireman. 250' is common with most boatbuilders....as I'm sure you know!

And I'm usually in water no deeper than 20'. I wonder why I continue to lug all of that weight around. I should consider shortening it by approx 100'. I wonder how much weight that would be???

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And I'm usually in water no deeper than 20'. I wonder why I continue to lug all of that weight around. I should consider shortening it by approx 100'. I wonder how much weight that would be???

Standard proof 5/16" chain is right around 1 lb/ft according to my friend google. Found some interesting sites about chains while looking for this.

tocostew

Cadet

great look like I am going to Lowe's for about 6' of 5/16 chain. Ill let you know how it works.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Also depends on your anchor, mines a chene anchor and they specify NO CHAINS! The design of the retrieval system precludes a chain. That said, the lake bottoms around here (sand/bedrock) dont like the chene design so I'm going to try something else. But yes, MOST anchors need at least 5-8 feet of chain!

sasto

Captain

Well let's see......Removing 150' of chain.....sell it for $2 a foot.....that's $300.....that weight you just removed and the money you recieved....I see a locker full of Absolutely anything you want! ;)

emoney

Commander

I've got a few anchors laying around, all except one have 5/16th chain. The one that has 3/8" chain on it, I must say, holds the best and it's really not a lot more to retrieve/store/etc. Just a thought in the event there's not a lot of price diff. Course, I'm holding down a 6k-lb sailboat, too.