Do you have an electric horn on your boat ?

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi to all,
Do you guys have an electric horn permanently installed in your boat ?...ot just an air can horn :confused:.

Thank you
Dan

wbeaton

Commander
Re: Do you have an electric horn on your boat ?

I have a 12V siren.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

Mine has a factory electric horn mounted just in front of the driver side windshield. I carry one of those compressed air can horns as well just in case something happens to the factory horn. I think most, if not all have factory horns on them, not 100% sure on that though.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

To Mr. Beaton:

Forget the siren. My response has to do with your avatar. When I was a young lad, my grand dad had that exact engine model on a 16' planked (and sealed with okum), flat bottom skiff. I loved to go fishing with him. We fished the bays around the Gulf of Mexico. In the mornings, when you went out, all was calm usually, but by afternoon, on the return trip, the wind was usually up pretty good and so were the waves. Luckily we came in with the wind to our backs which made it all possible.

With that heavy of a boat and it's contents the little 10 couldn't plane the boat unless it was on the front of a wave crest and then it would go speeding down the trough and crash into the back of the next wave just to labor to the top and repeat the process. He knew how to catch fish. When we were with him, he would hook them and hand us the rod/reel to land them. Then he would go to the local newspaper office (small town) and put an article in the paper as to how many we (the grand kids) landed. Made our day to see the posting in the paper.

Thanks for the memory.

Mark

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Electric, under the dash. Have used the cans earlier on in my fishing experiences. With the can, I always worried that I would run of out of propellant/air, whatever made them run.

Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Canned air only on my boat. That thing is so loud it put the electrics to shame.

ziggy

Admiral

my boat came hornless.

this was the previous owners idea for a horn on my boat..
IMG_1222.jpg

man, imho, that looked pretty stupid.

IMG_1683.jpg

this looks better imho. also i didn't have to cut new holes. my boat had a cb antenna, it was located where the horn is now. i just put the horn there instead of the antenna. i used plugs to fill the screw holes in the bow.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

what are your local requirements for the length of your boat. THAT is your answer... None of my under 16 ft boats had any whistle/horn of any sort, and it wasn't required equipment.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hi to all,
Do you guys have an electric horn permanently installed in your boat ?...ot just an air can horn :confused:.

I have both.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

none of my boats came with horns, the biggest being 21', but my sister's 19' grady has one. As a salt water boater, I give equipment like that a life span of 5 years and a 20% chance of it working when you need it.
I use whistles. They don't short, corrode, or run out of air until I do. Plus they can stay on my pfd or in my pocket conveniently for my own emergencies. I have an air horn I found on a used boat I bought but I doubt I'll replace it.
We don't need to use horns around here, so like everything boating, there are no "rules" but one. But following the recent discussion about "signalling intentions" I overtook a 110' tour boat yesterday, and no way the captain would hear or see any signal from me, so I called him on 16 "overtaking on your starboard" and he appreciated it and waved. At the time we were contending with an approaching container ship and a Coast Guard cutter sitting in the channel.

partskenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Electric horns mounted on the boat, can horn as backup( which is twice as loud as the electric). Also carry a fog bell.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Double chromed air trumpets with a canned back up/ditch horn.

DanMC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you all for the reply...:), i now know that i have left something out...well maybe not totally since all four out of five life vests have "just" whistles...why four out of five...because Ares...my dog can't whistle...yet:D.So i take taht this whistle will have to be marine grade...where do you guys got yours from ?...i had in mind something like a model T type horn...nostalgia type sound, whould that be too goofy :confused::D?
Thanks again to all.
Dan:facepalm:

homebuilt

Cadet

yes i do, 12v trumpet backed up by a horn in a can and a whistle

QCBigDog

Cadet

In the process of re-doing a 1963 closed bow fiberglass Larson, it has twin Chromed horn (either side), they are original, I was able to use a low voltage start/pushbutton at the local auto store and was able to re-wire both horns and by golly they sound great. p.s. use an inline fuse when you do-it- piece o cake

silverfox441

Seaman

I put this on mine. It's fairly loud.

Attachments

• Photo0113.jpg
    Photo0113.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

:D
Thank you all for the reply...:), i now know that i have left something out...well maybe not totally since all four out of five life vests have "just" whistles...why four out of five...because Ares...my dog can't whistle...yet:D.So i take taht this whistle will have to be marine grade...where do you guys got yours from ?...i had in mind something like a model T type horn...nostalgia type sound, whould that be too goofy :confused:
Thanks again to all.
Dan:facepalm:

Marine grade? You mean plastic. :D Any sporting goods store sells them; also West Marine, Overton's, etc...