Diagrams/Pics of Cable and Pulley style sterring and/or steering wheel configuration

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. I'm debating on whether or not I want to hook up the old cable and pulley steering I have. I understand how the concept works at the stern, but I'm less sure of how to go about installing a steering wheel in the hub that the cable wraps around near the bow. I currently have the original hub, pulleys, hardware and cable, but I'm missing the wheel, so I'm not quite sure how it worked originally, or how I could make it work now. The boat used to be a little '60's era, aluminum runabout (similar to starcrafts of the day), but I've converted it to a fishing boat. I don't want/need a period correct wheel and I can/will build a little helm as needed, but I'm not sure how to mount the hub and wheel together. Anyone have a similar set up or pics of one? Thanks.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Diagrams/Pics of Cable and Pulley style sterring and/or steering wheel configurat

By a used single cable steering setup and be done with it. Simple and safe. Probably not what you wanted to hear but the cable on the right side of the boat needed to be wound on the forward drum starting at the top so when the wheel was turned counter-clockwise, the right side cable was wound up and pulled the motor to the right so the boat steered left. The left side cable wound on the other drum also at the top. Therefore as that side would unwind when the wheel turned counter-clockwise and would wind when turned clockwise. The tension springs kept the cables tight.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Diagrams/Pics of Cable and Pulley style sterring and/or steering wheel configurat

Thanks for they reply. I understand everything and it's still in it's original factory location, but I'm not steering wheel is mounted into the hub and then how the hub is mounted to the dash, if at all. Anyone have a pic of a the wheel and hub/drum? Thanks again.