Right word - Bimini, canopy, enclosure?

haley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have been looking at Bimini's here at iBoats. I think what I really want is one of these (same model as my boat, but this guy has the top I want)
3n03o93lc5V15T25U1b74f7f6a624b31d17ba.jpg

3n93k43pb5V45Z15R1b74c27c076f1ddc1934.jpg

Seems like it would keep the wind and weather off of you better and it looks like some of the mounting hardware is already on my boat. Snaps to the windshield with a cut out that can be opened.

My question: is this a "canopy", or a "bimini" or something else. What is the right word?

JH

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Right word - Bimini, canopy, enclosure?

It is a "convertible top" as I found out this year here on iBoats. :) In any case, you'll probably have to have a canvas/boat cover shop custom make it for you since the snaps on the windshield will vary from boat to boat. Here's mine:

IMG_0721.jpg

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My boat came with with a convertible top from the factory and I just bought a bimini because I hated the convertible top. The big problem is that with the convertible top you don't get sun or wind and sometimes I like to get out of the sun but a good breeze is always welcome.

As far as buying a convertible top, having one custom made may be the best, but on my boat the snaps on the windshield can be moved around so a custom top wouldn't be necessary.

haulnazz15

Captain

My boat came with with a convertible top from the factory and I just bought a bimini because I hated the convertible top. The big problem is that with the convertible top you don't get sun or wind and sometimes I like to get out of the sun but a good breeze is always welcome.

As far as buying a convertible top, having one custom made may be the best, but on my boat the snaps on the windshield can be moved around so a custom top wouldn't be necessary.

I suppose it depends on the top design and direction you're facing. Mine stays pretty breezy as long as the center windshield is open but I don't normally sit at the helm unless we're moving. I'm sure the air could be stagnant when not moving if sitting there behind the windshield. Both convertible tops and biminis have their advantages, but I mainly like the convertibles because they don't cause much drag and don't balloon up when cruising down the lake. They also provide good shelter when it's cool out or raining. Mine has the zippered ends to allow me to attach the rear enclosure/window if desired as well.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Convertible tops are used on cars, not boats... :)

A top that snaps directly to the windshield is known as a 'Navy top' as opposed to the stand-alone bimini, but it appears that the term (and that style of covering) have fallen out of favor. I never see them anymore.

AndrewsArk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My boat has one, but it's also an 89. They do kind of suck for a breeze tho.
DSC04584.JPG

haulnazz15

Captain

Convertible tops are used on cars, not boats... :)

A top that snaps directly to the windshield is known as a 'Navy top' as opposed to the stand-alone bimini, but it appears that the term (and that style of covering) have fallen out of favor. I never see them anymore.

From another thread regarding the pic of my boat:

They are called dodger tops all the time, especially on sail boats. Yours really isn't technically a dodger either. Usually called a convertible top.

The top you have will catch way less wind that a bimini, especially from the front.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

A convertible top is one that attaches to the windshield directly and has canvas "pillars" in the rear. Post #2 is a perfect example of a convertible top.

A bimini top is one that is mounted freestanding on an aluminum or stainless steel frame. The canvas doesn't attach to the boat directly and the bimini framework will fold away when not in use.

A dodger is a canvas enclosure that is attached to the front portion of a V-bowed boat (usually a sailboat). They only ride bowrail height and are used primarily for dry storage or a quick escape out of the sun. Flaps can be attached to the rear for additional protection or overnighting / rain escape.

An enclosure is a free standing top which is attached to the boat by way of eisenglass / canvas curtains (see my avatar). Generally, they are pretty water proof (for the most part :rolleyes:) and are left in places the majority of the time. The main advantage of an enclosure is a lot of ventilation with the glass rolled up and quickly able to deploy the curtains if the weather turns to crap.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... I grew up hearing it called a 'navy top' and as far as I've ever known, a 'dodger' was used only on sailboats. In googling it, however, appears that it's applied to both sail and power.

Oh, well- not much I can do when everybody else in the world is WRONG!

:D

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm a fan of my convertable, Basil-Cell, I have to stay out of the sun for the most part these days.