Need to remove mold and mildew from vinyl seats

bub77

Recruit
What is the best way to remove mold and mildew from vinyl boat seats. I know bleach will do the trick, but I'm afraid it might damage color and material. Please help!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Need to remove mold and mildew from vinyl seats

Magic Eraser from Mr Clean

45Auto

Commander

The Wal Mart here sells some marine mold and mildew remover made by Attwood (blue spray bottle) in their boat department. It's the best stuff I've found, works better than straight bleach!! We have SERIOUS mildew problems down here in New Orleans and I've tried about everything.

yetiman

Seaman

3M also has some mildew remover and preventer that works good

TEutis

Seaman Apprentice

Agree on the Magic Eraser, I haven't found anything that works better.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Magic Erasers will remove the spots, but they will come right back. It doesn't kill the bacteria that's causing the mold in the first place. You need something with Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) in it. Clorox Clean-Up only has 1% bleach so it won't destroy the threads or fibers in the material or the stitching. The other cleaners in it will also get rid of the spots.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

Magic Erasers will remove the spots, but they will come right back. It doesn't kill the bacteria that's causing the mold in the first place. You need something with Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) in it. Clorox Clean-Up only has 1% bleach so it won't destroy the threads or fibers in the material or the stitching. The other cleaners in it will also get rid of the spots.
Quaternary Sanitizers work much better than bleach. Bleach kills for less than 10 minutes and a 1000ppm**of quat will kill for days! Quat has a neutral Ph and will not harm anything that is not harmed by water.

** (1 oz of quat to 1 gallon of water)

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

Start by putting it out it the hot sun to kill the growth. Then use a good vinyl cleaner

RIDEPATE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like someone else said, Do Not use bleach. It will rot your threads.

jvigier

Seaman

I second the magic eraser note.

Did you ever try warm soapy water with a soft bristle brush?

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

second on the dont use bleach or any products with bleach in it

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Go to Dollar General and buy a $1 spray bottle of Awesome--a yellow colored liquid. It works like a charm on upholstery.

It's the only cleaner to remove the black streaks on the side of my travel trailer. A RV dealer told me the other day that he buys it by the case.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Bleach will not rot your threads if it is followed by a bit of clean water. Just don't apply STRAIGHT BLEACH and you'll be fine. I reduce it down to 1 cup per gallon and rinse with clean water. I have NEVER had a thread issue in any boat I've owned over the last 20+ years.

bub77

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice guys!! I'll be trying these suggestions this weekend. Wish me luck!!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know if you can get VIM where you are. The regular stuff cleaned the vinyl on my 10 year old boat and made it look like new.

brick75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Magic eraser and a basic vinyl cleaner works amazingly well. I just had this same issue and it works like a charm. Been about a month now, and nothing has reappeared, so not sure you need a bleach like some suggest to keep it away. Maybe there are certain types, or certain levels that do, but mine still looks great.

sbooy42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

spray9

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Have you ever looked at the cut edge of upholstery vinyl with a magnifying glass?
It is basically a thin foamed plastic sponge.

Abrade the surface with Magic Eraser or Comet/Bar Keepers friend, etc. and you wear away the outer surface that is smooth and is a solid barrier.
Once that solid outer skin is worn off, you have millions of open pores that become micro sized planters for growth of the fungi aka "mold and mildew". After that happens, it is virtually impossible to get the mold and dirt out from the bottom of all those pores.

Use a liquid cleaner made for mold and mildew removal and a soft brush.
Then treat with a mold preventer, not just more of the mold remover as they are not one and the same.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

What is the best way to remove mold and mildew from vinyl boat seats. I know bleach will do the trick, but I'm afraid it might damage color and material. Please help!

I am a big believer in Marine Spray Nine. Won't damage anything, smells OK, and does a great job getting rid of mildew and mold.

ronwc

Recruit

3M also has some mildew remover and preventer that works good

After trying MANY different mold/mildew/vinyl cleaners, bought the 3M Mildew Remover and it worked unbelievably great. I bought a used 2004 BL 185 BR, and although the original owner kept it under cover on a lake, I don't believe he ever cleaned it. Nice boat with fiberglass floors and larger 4.3L engine. All the seats had a mildew problem and all looked dirty. Went out this morning with a bottle of the 3M product, a scrub brush and hose spray. Got seats a little wet, sprayed mildew remover on, light scrubed in and let sit for about 5 minutes. Spray off with water, seats look like new. As I did the seats, I started doing the deck and inside/under the seats, even in bilge/storge locker. Got the whole boat and seats done in about 1 1/2 hrs, and it is day and night. All is perfectly clean, just need to go back and Armorall.

Attachments

• IMG_8121.jpg
    IMG_8121.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: