• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to remove mold and mildew from vinyl seats

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to remove mold and mildew from vinyl seats

What is the best way to remove mold and mildew from vinyl boat seats. I know bleach will do the trick, but I'm afraid it might damage color and material. Please help!

Re: Need to remove mold and mildew from vinyl seats

Magic Eraser from Mr Clean
    This is a great link to boat specifications http://boatspecs.iboats.com/
    Please, shop iboats first!!

Comment

The Wal Mart here sells some marine mold and mildew remover made by Attwood (blue spray bottle) in their boat department. It's the best stuff I've found, works better than straight bleach!! We have SERIOUS mildew problems down here in New Orleans and I've tried about everything.
      Any opinions expressed above are worth exactly what you paid for them!

Comment

3M also has some mildew remover and preventer that works good
        2005 Caravelle 207 LS

Comment

Agree on the Magic Eraser, I haven't found anything that works better.

Comment

Magic Erasers will remove the spots, but they will come right back. It doesn't kill the bacteria that's causing the mold in the first place. You need something with Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) in it. Clorox Clean-Up only has 1% bleach so it won't destroy the threads or fibers in the material or the stitching. The other cleaners in it will also get rid of the spots.
            2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Originally posted by Fireman431 View Post
              Magic Erasers will remove the spots, but they will come right back. It doesn't kill the bacteria that's causing the mold in the first place. You need something with Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) in it. Clorox Clean-Up only has 1% bleach so it won't destroy the threads or fibers in the material or the stitching. The other cleaners in it will also get rid of the spots.
              Quaternary Sanitizers work much better than bleach. Bleach kills for less than 10 minutes and a 1000ppm**of quat will kill for days! Quat has a neutral Ph and will not harm anything that is not harmed by water.

** (1 oz of quat to 1 gallon of water)
              1946 Gar Wood
              1949 Gar Form
              1974 Century Arabian
              1978 Chrysler Mutineer
              1991 Kawasaki Jet Mate

Comment

Start by putting it out it the hot sun to kill the growth. Then use a good vinyl cleaner

Comment

Like someone else said, Do Not use bleach. It will rot your threads.
                  Jimbo
                  93 Four-Winns 190 Horizon SS
                  5.0 HO OMC
                  1959 Boston-Whaler Sport 13 with-
                  1983 Evinrude 60 punched-out....

Pm me all you want.........

Comment

I second the magic eraser note.

Did you ever try warm soapy water with a soft bristle brush?
                    95 Four Winns 240 Horizon, 5.8 351 Ford EFI with Volvo Penta SX Cobra drive
                    27 ft Shoreland'r EZ Roller

__________________________________________________ ______________

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Give him a fishing lesson and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer every weekend.
                    - Alex Blackwell

Comment

second on the dont use bleach or any products with bleach in it

Comment

Go to Dollar General and buy a $1 spray bottle of Awesome--a yellow colored liquid. It works like a charm on upholstery.

It's the only cleaner to remove the black streaks on the side of my travel trailer. A RV dealer told me the other day that he buys it by the case.

Comment

Bleach will not rot your threads if it is followed by a bit of clean water. Just don't apply STRAIGHT BLEACH and you'll be fine. I reduce it down to 1 cup per gallon and rinse with clean water. I have NEVER had a thread issue in any boat I've owned over the last 20+ years.
                          2001 Carver Voyager 374 'Stick's Competition'

Something tells me I should be on the water....

If I answer your upholstery questions, it's only because I've been doing it 20+ years...

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys!! I'll be trying these suggestions this weekend. Wish me luck!!

Comment

I don't know if you can get VIM where you are. The regular stuff cleaned the vinyl on my 10 year old boat and made it look like new.

Comment

Working...
                              X