Jabsco toilet pumps + flushes same time

Mohabba

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Jabsco toilet with electrical conversion. Toilet model #29090-2000

I replaced with heavier wiring and the motor really lived up (and screams like a zombie)

My toilet both pumps and flushes either way i turn the nob. I cant fill the bowl with water without pumping it out at the same time. It is a direct discharge (no problem, its allowed).
images

img17249.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: Jabsco toilet pumps + flushes same time

The options you're referring to are either a "Dry Pump" or a "Wet Pump". Dry Pump will empty the contents of the bowl without pumping water into the head. The Wet Pump will pump water into the head at the same time the contents are being flushed out. So the contents are always pumped out regardless of whether you choose to pump water in (wet) or not (dry). I don't see how the electric component would change this functionality. This sounds as though it is working as designed.

Mohabba

Seaman Apprentice

The toilet takes in water and flushes at the same times either way i turn the disc. The bowl will not fill with water. According to the instruction on the top of the electrical unit I would expect the bowl to fill with water one way and flushing the other way.

45Auto

Commander

Mohabba said:
I replaced with heavier wiring .... My toilet both pumps and flushes either way i turn the nob .... According to the instruction on the top of the electrical unit I would expect the bowl to fill with water one way and flushing the other way.

Sounds like you hooked up at least one of your new wires incorrectly. Did it work right before you re-wired it?

shrew

Lieutenant

The toilet takes in water and flushes at the same times either way i turn the disc. The bowl will not fill with water. According to the instruction on the top of the electrical unit I would expect the bowl to fill with water one way and flushing the other way.

I don't have the electric add-on. Just the standard Jabsco Manual pump head. i have had several. This is how they all work. Both the Wet and Dry pump settings will discharge out. the Wet Setting pumps water in, the dry setting does not. This is by design. It isn't designed to work the way you assumed or expected it was supposed to.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Makes filling the bowl with water before filling the bowl with something a little more... heavy... kinda difficult, don't ya think?

I have an old wilcox/crittenden manual that is serious need of a rebuild. At this point, I fill from my removable shower head, and then pump and fill from the shower to drain, but its a pain. Certainly NOT looking forward to rebuilding, seriously considering upgrading to something new. Sounds like we're all in the same boat so to speak when it comes to filling/flushing though...

Mohabba

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you hooked up at least one of your new wires incorrectly. Did it work right before you re-wired it?

One of the wires? there are two wires....red and black?. If one of the wires were connected incorrectly i guess the unit wouldnt have moved at all. They were crimped and shrinked.

Mohabba

Seaman Apprentice

Then why is there two options on the top of the electrical unit and what does the instruction explain?.
I thought the instruction was quite clear.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

The options you're referring to are either a "Dry Pump" or a "Wet Pump". Dry Pump will empty the contents of the bowl without pumping water into the head. The Wet Pump will pump water into the head at the same time the contents are being flushed out. So the contents are always pumped out regardless of whether you choose to pump water in (wet) or not (dry).

I have a Jabsco manual head, too. On the 'wet bowl' setting, water fills the bowl as I pump. If it fills and flushes at that same time in that position, how does water fill the bowl? When I move the lever to the 'dry bowl' position, the head empties as I pump.

When I bought the boat, the bowl wouldn't fill in the 'wet bowl' position. I needed to dump a container of water into the bowl first. A new pump assembly fixed that and now it operates as I described above.

I put that very same toilet in my current when I got it... Didn't want to rebuild and clean the old one if you know what I mean. Our does the same in the wet position. What I do is give it a few good pumps and stop while in the wet position. That way, the water keeps coming in for a few seconds.

We only pee in it though unless it's a real emergency. We save the "dumping" for the marina toilets.

Mohabba

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Jabsco manual head, too. On the 'wet bowl' setting, water fills the bowl as I pump. If it fills and flushes at that same time in that position, how does water fill the bowl? When I move the lever to the 'dry bowl' position, the head empties as I pump.

When I bought the boat, the bowl wouldn't fill in the 'wet bowl' position. I needed to dump a container of water into the bowl first. A new pump assembly fixed that and now it operates as I described above.

"If it fills and flushes at that same time in that position, how does water fill the bowl?"

It pumps in water but wont fill the bowl, it flushes out the water at the same time.
I would think that in order to work properly it is supposed to fill the bowl with water before you can flush the contents both electric and manual pump units.