Using A 12v Anchor Winch w/a 24v Power Source or (is there a 24v Anchor Winch avail?)

wgb

Recruit
I have a 24v Trolling motor and I want to use the same 24v power plug/source for a anchor winch. Unfortunately, I cannot find a suitable 24v anchor winch - only 12v. Does anyone know of a company that sells 24v anchor winches for pontoon boats? A winch similar to the PowerWinch would be nice but they do not have a 24v option.

If no 24v winches are available - do you know of an easy way to convert the 24v power to 12v between the anchor winch and the power plug? This would allow me to purchase a 12v winch and step-down the voltage before it hits the winch motor without changing the wiring or battery configuration. The tricky part is that I also need to use the power outlet for my 24v Trolling motor. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Using A 12v Anchor Winch w/a 24v Power Source or (is there a 24v Anchor Winch ava

Welcome to iboats.

I have never heard of a 24v winch or anything to step down voltage and if there were such a thing it would be pretty pricey, I think you are going to have to give up on the plug and just run power from 1 battery.

It is really easy to do and my Deck hand came with plenty of cord to run about anywhere I wanted plus they pull alot of power and you want them on as short of wires as possible.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Using A 12v Anchor Winch w/a 24v Power Source or (is there a 24v Anchor Winch ava

There are converters available, they are usually used in aviation and buses to convert 24 starting systems down to 12v for a cd player. Of course, the problem is that they are $$$, and probably not possible to get one in the wattage you would require for a winch.

wgb

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid I would have to go the route you described,

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I would DEFINITELY rewire for the 12v without a doubt BUT I'd say that you COULD have the motor rewired or run through a resister block If you were dead set on your plan

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Tap one battery and run to a second receptacle for the winch. Done for less than $10. Here's how. PAY ATTENTION TO THE DIAGRAM. NOTE WHICH BATTERY TO TIE INTO.

12Vfrom24Vsystem.jpg