Anchor chain....

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander
Just my thoughts on anchor chain... weight of chain verses length of chain.
My previous boat was a 1973 16' Winner Marauder with a '85 'Rude on her transom... The boat came with a great fluke anchor and chain for where I used her for 9 years. The chain was 6' long and folded back and twisted , by bolting on SCUBA diving weights. The chain was incredibly heavy. No matter how strong the current , wind or chop was on the Delaware River , as long as I had 4:1 per depth, she held strong.
Has anyone else tried this... bolting weights to the chain ?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anchor chain....

The added weight is called a "kellet" and it's not a new idea, but it does work really well. The downside it that it can be inconvenient to use. Most people who want more holding power and don't mind the extra weight, use a bigger anchor and/or more chain in the rode.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I was a newbie to boating back then and used what was available...yeah , it was very heavy to retrieve...but it held like nobody's business... I plan to do the same for my latest boat... pictured below...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I use two lengths of chain. (the typical vinyl coated stuff) 10' total. Anchor holds very well and not too heavy to drag up.