Power Lund Classic 1700 with 75hp Honda or Mercury??

tig1004

Recruit
Just purchased a 2006 Lund 1700 Classic SS, which is powered by a (2006) Mercury 75hp EFI 4-stroke. Our old boat is a 2000 Alumacraft Navigator 165 with a (2009) Honda 75hp outboard. Thinking about swapping motors and selling the Alumacraft with the Merc. The value of the Honda is quite a bit more and would probably have a hard time getting the money (what it's worth) by leaving it on the Alumacraft. Hence we're looking to swap outboards since the Honda is newer and still has nearly three years on the warranty. I have someone lined up who is willing to swap engines for a reasonable cost. Curious to hear thoughts/comparisons on the two engines when it comes to power, reliability, repair costs, etc. Does a swap seem like the logical way to go? I believe our Lund boat is a little heavier than the Alumacraft. What are the strengths/advantages on each engine - and is there any downside to going ahead with the swap? :confused:

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Power Lund Classic 1700 with 75hp Honda or Mercury??

Both being 4-stroke 75HP motors I would expect them to perform similarly. I can see the Honda warranty situation and newer year being of greater value to you than whatever (if any) increase it would make to the boat you're selling. I'd probably make the switch.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only downside I can think of is if the bolt patterns are different on your transom. You might have to drill new holes for the Honda to fit and fill in the old holes the Merc was in.

I would also check the prices of replacement parts. You can look up the costs of impellers, carb rebuild kits, starters, etc online.

tig1004

Recruit

Both being 4-stroke 75HP motors I would expect them to perform similarly. I can see the Honda warranty situation and newer year being of greater value to you than whatever (if any) increase it would make to the boat you're selling. I'd probably make the switch.

Ok, thanks for your feedback and assistance.

tig1004

Recruit

The only downside I can think of is if the bolt patterns are different on your transom. You might have to drill new holes for the Honda to fit and fill in the old holes the Merc was in.

I would also check the prices of replacement parts. You can look up the costs of impellers, carb rebuild kits, starters, etc online.

Excellent! Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll check it out.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I THINK they standardized the bolt patterns long before now so you're probably ok. I think if you were going from a '75 Chrysler to a 2005 Mercury you might have a problem but between two modern motors they are most likely the same.

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ezmobee: It would make sense for them to be standardized by now, but we're still talking import vs domestic. If it were me, I probably wouldn't do it if the bolt patterns were different. In the end, my old boat had a crack from the engine bolts right to the old holes I had plugged. I had sealed it well, but logically the more holes you have in the transom the weaker it is.

Tig1004: Let us know how you make out. I'd be interesting in knowing if the bolt patterns line up or not.

tig1004

Recruit

Ezmobee: It would make sense for them to be standardized by now, but we're still talking import vs domestic. If it were me, I probably wouldn't do it if the bolt patterns were different. In the end, my old boat had a crack from the engine bolts right to the old holes I had plugged. I had sealed it well, but logically the more holes you have in the transom the weaker it is.

Tig1004: Let us know how you make out. I'd be interesting in knowing if the bolt patterns line up or not.

Looks like we should be good to go. The bolts on each motor measure 13" center-to-center.

Couple other questions. The speedometer on my Lund doesn't work and someone said I need to remove the hose and blow it out with compressed air, otherwise the intake must be plugged on the motor. Also, the livewell on my Alumacraft (one I am selling) works intermittently. Should I lower the pump or water hose? Every time I run the boat I need to put it in reverse and get water in the hose. Almost seems like I create a vacuum when I run across the lake. Thoughts?? Thanks again!