"Sun Runner" boats

I would appreciate any info someone can give me on "Sun Runner" boats. I am thinking of buying an older (1985) 18.5 ft. I/O, but only have a few pics to judge its condition. I don't want to waste a 400 mile round trip to go look at it if it's a poor quality boat. Would really like to hear from someone who's owned one, or maybe an idea of this boats value? And would this boat have an hour meter, or was that an option?Thanks...

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: "Sun Runner" boats

Sunrunner boats have not been made for a long time.Over 10 years.It was not considered a high quality boat,though it was not thought of as a bayliner of that time either.If you go for it make sure the price is right,the resale should be low.Charlie

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Talk" to Frantically Relaxing at http://www.boatingabc.com <br /><br />
2.jpg

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"It was not considered a high quality boat,though it was not thought of as a bayliner of that time either"<br />Honestly, i think they were. I'm not one to bash others boats, but Sunrunner had a lot of quality control issues, which contributed to their last boats being produced in 1991. In 1985, they had a whole bunch of motor options on the 190, but with a 230hp outdrive retail is about $2500. Hey, the one pictured above looks great, so they can't all be bad, right?<br />400 miles is a long trip for a boat in that size class, surely there are other deals close by?

dazk14

Ensign

The Cruisers were of great design, very innovative. 230sb was probably the weakest design due to only an 8' beam.

Look in the bilge, all smooth fiberglass construction. Most look like a toilet.

Problem was, they were trying to take down Sea Ray. They were in the hunt until they had to change their $$$profile and cut corners in 90/91 to keep afloat.

If you find a well maintained pre-90 boat for a good price have it surveyed. If it "passes" you won't find a better designed interior/overall in that era.

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

check the resto forum, fella in the uk has one, may be able to answer for you.
i forget the title of the thread.

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the one in my sig might be the same or simaler, I found it to be a boat of medium quality, it is light weight and good on gas (4.6mpg) it is a deep enough V to handle some open water ok. the high speed handling is very good but it wanders a bit at slow speed, tops out at 40 best cruise at 25. The volvo 4cyl is just adaquite nothing more, it would be a lot more fun with a 4.3 or even a 350. the guy i bought mine from felt safe enough in it to run 50+ miles out in the open pacific, in the roughest water I had it in (4' chop) I thought the boat handled it well.

seanyacht

Recruit

My grandparents purchased a Sun Runner 230 SB brand new in 1987. They moved up to a 40 footer as crawling into the mid-cabin became difficult with age and sold the boat to my father.

It is a good boat with a deep v hull and a solid ride. Yes it wonders at low speeds like 5 mph zones but at speed its a comfortable ride. Do have to play with the trim tabs a bit when water tank is full or guest gather to one side of boat.

Only complaints I have is the stitching in the upholstery is coming apart.

Highly recommend Sun Runner. Our 230 SB has been passed down in our family and after i hand waxed the boat this spring the color came back to as good as new.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

i redid my 195 b sun runner completely ,new stringers transom and floor .everything replaced .i like the chine design and the fiberglass was solid and not cored i believe is the terms. underneath the cap there were lots of marine grade plywood fiber glassed in strain areas all over and in the bilge there were a couple of areas with some wood fiber glassed into the structure .it looked like someone paid good attention to design especially under the cap and gunwale areas ;
1113081158-3.jpg